Nostalgic Penang-Large Collection of Vintage Photographs (F)

Views:
 
Category: Entertainment
     
 

Presentation Description

A large collection (more than 330s) of vintage photographs, paintings, maps, drawings of Penang for an unforgettable nostalgic virtual tour of Penang of yesteryears.

Comments

Presentation Transcript

PowerPoint Presentation:

Nostalgic Penang: Large Collection of Vintage Photographs A nostalgic virtual tour of the Penang of yesteryears These vintage photographs were collected from various sources over the internet. Unless otherwise stated, it is believed that these vintage photographs are no longer copyrighted. CLICK SLIDE TO ADVANCE

PowerPoint Presentation:

History of Penang History of Penang Written by Administrator III    Sunday, 14 September 2008 15:26 In the early 16th century, Portuguese traders have been sailing to the Far East searching for spices. They came across a small uninhabited island where they could replenish fresh water supplies, which they then named it “ Pulo Pinaom ”. The island was part of the Kedah Sultanate. Its strategic location at the northern entry to the Straits of Malacca has made it a natural harbour during the monsoon months for Arabian, Chinese, European and Indian ships. Inevitably, it became a hunting ground for pirates. Since the 17th century, Kedah have been sending “ Bunga Emas ” (Gold Flowers) to Siam (Thailand) as an acknowledgement of the Siam King’s sovereignty. In the 18th century, the spice and opium trade between the East and West had become extremely lucrative. The Dutch dominated the Far East spice trade and the British too needed to establish themselves in the region. Thus, in 1765 Francis Light was instructed by his Company, Jourdain Sullivan and de Souza to establish better trade relations in this part of the world. For more, please read: http://www.visitpenang.gov.my/portal3/about-penang/history.html

PowerPoint Presentation:

Map of Penang Island and Province Wellesley surveyed by Commander F C P Vereker, 1884

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Harbour HMS Magpie 1884 George Town map

PowerPoint Presentation:

Province Wellesley & Penang 1906

PowerPoint Presentation:

The 1st British Settlement in Pulo Pinaom as Penang was known as then.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Engraving -Eastern Side of Pulo Penang, or Prince of Wales's Island, With Fort Cornwallis 1810 (Penang State Museum and Art Gallery)

PowerPoint Presentation:

Pulo Pinaom or Prince of Wales Island Straits of Malacca. Media: Aquatint, Year 1828 (Penang State Museum and Art Gallery)

PowerPoint Presentation:

View Overlooking Georgetown Media: Print 1814 (Penang State Museum and Art Gallery)

PowerPoint Presentation:

George Town near Pulo Penang Media: Print 1811 (Penang State Museum and Art Gallery)

PowerPoint Presentation:

View from Strawberry Hill, Prince of Wales's Island Media: Aquatint, Year: 1818 Source: Penang State Museum and Art Gallery

PowerPoint Presentation:

View of Jerejak island, then named Pulo Jeraja , from Penang Hill in 1817. Media: Aquatint . Source: Penang State Museum and Art Gallery

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bird’s eye view of George Town, Penang Note the absence of high rise buildings

PowerPoint Presentation:

Aerial view of Penang circa 1985

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang seafront 1800’s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Harbour circa 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay

PowerPoint Presentation:

F.M.S. Pier, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Federated Malay States Railway Station jetty at Penang Harbour circa 1920

PowerPoint Presentation:

Victoria Pier, Weld Quay Penang. Pengkalan Raja Tun Uda terminal was built to replace Victoria Pier which was built towards the end of the 19th century, in honour of Queen Victoria. It was renamed after the first Governor of Penang of the newly independent Malaya, Raja Tun Uda Al- Haj bin Raja Muhammad

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay

PowerPoint Presentation:

F.M.S. Railway Building and Railway Pier

PowerPoint Presentation:

F.M.S. Railway Building and Railway Pier

PowerPoint Presentation:

F.M.S. Railway Pier

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay Source : Arkib Negara Malaysia

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay after 1890

PowerPoint Presentation:

Railway Pier

PowerPoint Presentation:

Old Railway Jetty (now the present Church Street Pier)

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Malayan Railway jetty at the end of China Street Ghaut on Penang island. 1952 Source: Life in Old Prai — The Prai Wharves in 1952

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Malayan Railway jetty at the end of China Street Ghaut on Penang island. 1952 Source: Life in Old Prai — The Prai Wharves in 1952

PowerPoint Presentation:

Federated Malay States (F.M.S.) Railway Station, Penang. It was often called 'the railway station without a rail'. Passengers purchased their train tickets here and crossed by ferry to the boarding platform on the mainland.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bullock Carts Loading Cargo

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay after 1890. Steam tram tracks can be seen on the road surface. Electric lamp posts are near the buildings. Photo was after 1904 (electricity) and 1906 (trams).

PowerPoint Presentation:

Raja Tun Uda Terminal circa 1950’s – 60’s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Raja Tun Uda Terminal circa 1965

PowerPoint Presentation:

Weld Quay circa 1950

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Jetty

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Jetty

PowerPoint Presentation:

Downing Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Downing Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Old General Post Office (now Penang State Religious Council), Downing Street, George Town

PowerPoint Presentation:

Old General Post Office (now Penang State Religious Council), Downing Street, George Town

PowerPoint Presentation:

Old General Post Office (now Penang State Religious Council), George Town

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower & government office

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower & Fort Cornwallis. Take note of the moat along the walls. The moat is no longer there.

PowerPoint Presentation:

How the clock tower looked in 1914.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, King Edward's Place

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, King Edward's Place

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower, King Edward's Place

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Esplanade, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Esplanade

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Esplanade

PowerPoint Presentation:

Esplanade, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Rd was the eastern section of the road leading from the tip of the cape, Fort Point, to the Jubilee Clock Tower roundabout. Both The Esplanade and Fort Rd were joined with the new road built west of Duke St to form a road named after Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah , Governor of Penang (1969–1975).

PowerPoint Presentation:

Municipal Office

PowerPoint Presentation:

Municipal Office

PowerPoint Presentation:

Municipal Office

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Esplanade in 1960’s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Cenopath – 1 st World War Memorial, Esplanade, Penang, circa 50-60s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis, Prince of Wales's Island Media: Engraving, 1904 Source: Penang State Museum and Art Gallery

PowerPoint Presentation:

The Map of Early Penang Showing the Malay Town on the South of the Town Centre by Popham 1799

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fort Cornwallis

PowerPoint Presentation:

Supreme Court, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Supreme Court, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Supreme Court, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Supreme Court, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

St George’s Church, Farquhar Street, circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Unique selling points in 1927 included individual telephones and baths with hot and cold running water, all under the tagline "The Premier Hotel East of Suez.“Built: 1884

PowerPoint Presentation:

Photograph of E & O Hotel taken during the time of the sinking of Russian cruiser Zhemchug off Penang Island in 1914. Historical hospitality giants, the Sarkies brothers are credited with founding iconic hotels including Singapore's Raffles and Myanmar's Strand, but it all started in George Town, Penang, back during the Malaysian island’s days as an outpost of the East India Company. The grand dame of all Sarkies brothers' hotels was initially two separate accomodations -- the Eastern Hotel, built in 1884, and the Oriental Hotel, built a year later on an adjacent piece of land. The hotel simply became known as “Eastern & Oriental” between 1889 and 1900.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Vintage 1923 postcard of a street scene in front of the E & O Hotel Annexe in Penang Malaya (Malaysia). Depicting horse-drawn carriage and nostalgic architecture of the E & O Annexe to the left with the dividing vintage telephone/telegraph poles in the centre. Bears 2 King George V Straits Settlements stamps (10c Postage & Revenue and 1c Postage) with "Malaya Borneo Exhibition" overprint & Penang post mark.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Eastern & Oriental Hotel, Penang circa 1933

PowerPoint Presentation:

E & O Hotel, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Eastern & Oriental Hotel c. 1960 Source: RAAF School Penang (Courtesy Robin Tobler )

PowerPoint Presentation:

Eastern & Oriental Hotel c. 1960 Source: RAAF School Penang (Courtesy Robin Tobler )

PowerPoint Presentation:

E & O Hotel, Farquhar Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Eastern & Oriental Hotel c. 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Larut Road is a road in George Town. It runs from Northam Road (Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah) to Burmah Road. Built at late 19th century, the name was derived from Larut War. Larut war is the conflict was fought among local Chinese secret societies over the control of mining areas in Perak.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Rain tree-lined Northam Road c. 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Rain tree-lined Northam Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

The inaugural Penang Club building in 1868 with attap roofing

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Club , Northam Road, circa 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Club , Northam Road, circa 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Post war Penang Club viewed from the sea

PowerPoint Presentation:

Postcard of Penang Club, Northam Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, Penang circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

This building was mistakenly bombed by during WWII and had to be demolished. It was replaced by the current HSBC building below.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, Penang c. 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Logan Building built during late 19 th century and named after respected Penang advocate & solicitor, James Richardson Logan. Located along Beach Street between Union Street (foreground) and Bishop Street. c. 1910.

PowerPoint Presentation:

A real photograph of Beach Street. Circa 1920. By this time, the street was in stark contrast to its earlier years. The street is crowded with cars, rickshaws, bicycles and pedestrian. The Che Eam Lane ( 謝炎巷 ) signboard is visible on the right. Strait Eco office on the left

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, HSBC building is on the left, beyond that the Nederland Trading Society ( Nederlandsche Handel- Maatschappij ). Logan building is on the right. circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, HSBC building is on the left, beyond that the Nederland Trading Society that became ABN Bank and now Royal Bank of Scotland. Logan building is on the right.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Georgetown dispensary at Beach Street. Established in 1889 and moved into this building in 1895 at 37A, Beach St. Circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street is festooned with flags and decorations. On the right is Robinson Piano Co. Ltd. And the next shop on the right is Georgetown Dispensary. Circa 1900

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Beach Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bishop Street, circa 1905. On the right can be seen signboard “The Dispensary” while on the left are “The Retreat Bar/Tiffin Room” and “ Choon Hin Shoemaker”. Bishop Street came to be with Bishop Arnold Gamault and his persecuted congregation from Siam that settled in Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bishop Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

A view of Bishop Street in the 1970s.

PowerPoint Presentation:

King Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

King Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Queen Street, Penang circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Goddess of Mercy Temple, Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Goddess of Mercy Temple, Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

View from Kapitan Kling Mosque, Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Kapitan Kling Mosque, Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Kapitan Kling Mosque, c. 1960, Pitt Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

China Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

China Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street between Market Street and Chulia Street was known as Chetty Street. This was where the chettiars owned much of the properties mainly due to forfeited mortgages.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chulia Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chulia Street, circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chulia Street, circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chulia Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Carnarvon Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Carnarvon Street - The street was reported created in 1860's, it was named after the 4th Earl of Carnarvon Henry Howard Molyneux Herbert(1831-1890)

PowerPoint Presentation:

Australia Hotel, Penang Road, circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road – Prangin Road Junction

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road – Prangin Road Junction

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Cold Storage Creameries along Upper Penang Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

George Town Bird's Eye View postcard with Kedah Stamp

PowerPoint Presentation:

Aerial view of George Town circa. 1970

PowerPoint Presentation:

Current Penang Race Course was last time located in Macalister Road. In 1939, The Turf Club bought 230 acre site at Batu Gantung, therefore it was moved to the new site. The old race course site now is occupied by St. George's Girl School and the road name was changed from Race Course Road to Residency Road. The road name was derived from the official residence of the Governor of Penang.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Macalister Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Race Course Road (Residency Road), Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Residency Road and Golf Course

PowerPoint Presentation:

Escoy Tin Smeling Railway

PowerPoint Presentation:

China Street junction

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chowrasta Market, Penang Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chowrasta Market, Penang Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Odeon Penang, or also known as Iswaria Veenai Odeon Cinema, located at the Upper Penang Road since the British occupation in , is one of the few remaining cinemas in the nation which now screens only mainstream Hindi and Tamil movies to cater to the niche crowd of Indian cinema fans.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Capitol theatre

PowerPoint Presentation:

The area in front  of Capitol theatre 

PowerPoint Presentation:

Elizabeth Taylor in Raintree County 'Now Showing' in Capital!

PowerPoint Presentation:

Cathay, Penang Road c. 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Cathay, Penang Road c. 1966

PowerPoint Presentation:

Prangin And Maxwell Roads

PowerPoint Presentation:

Goddess of Mercy Temple, Burmah Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Goddess of Mercy Temple, Burmah Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

College General , Burmah Road in 1966,

PowerPoint Presentation:

A facade of College General’s first site in Pulau Tikus. It remained there for 176 years before moving to Mariophile in Tanjung Bungah in 1984.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Siamese Temple

PowerPoint Presentation:

Burmah Road , Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Cricket Club (Now Chinese Recreation Club), Victoria Green

PowerPoint Presentation:

Edwardian architecture: The former St George’s Girls’ School in Northam Road (Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah). — Picture taken from ‘Giving Our Best: The Story of St George’s Girls’ School, Penang, 1885-2010’.

PowerPoint Presentation:

St Xavier’s Institution -Imprint: Strait Photo, Co. Penang, No. 17 St Xavier's Institution is a boys' school founded by the De La Salle Brothers in 1852. It was just a medium English school named St. Francis Xavier's Free School during 1825. However in 1857, the school was relocated at Farquhar Street, occupied about 30x50 meters, and about 80 pupils in the school.  In 1900, the building was enlarged, and the enrolment rate was over 400 pupils and later even over 1000 pupils. During WW2, this building was partially bombed by Japan Army, school was suspended. After the war, the building was reconstructed and completed at 1952.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Hutchings School (Former location of Penang Free School)

PowerPoint Presentation:

Former Penang Free School, Hutchings School, present Penang State Museum

PowerPoint Presentation:

Former Penang Free School, Hutchings School, present Penang State Museum

PowerPoint Presentation:

Former Penang Free School, Hutchings School, present Penang State Museum

PowerPoint Presentation:

Present Penang Free School at Green Lane

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Free School, Green Lane

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Free School, Green Lane

PowerPoint Presentation:

In the postcard above, at the left hand-side shows the area of Esplanade. The Padang Kota Lama is the parade ground and playing field created by the British colonials. During 1900s, the clubhouse buildings such as Penang Cricket Club, Penang Recreation Club were located at here. However, during the Second World War, they were destroyed and never rebuilt again.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Foo Tye Sin Mansion: The building above was Foo’s home in Light Street. It is one of the first non-European mansions built in 19th century Penang. The magnificent building is now home to a branch of Hong Leong Bank ( below ). — Picture above taken from  Penang Postcard Collection 1899-1930s by Khoo Salma Nasution and Malcolm Wade

PowerPoint Presentation:

Light Street

PowerPoint Presentation:

Light Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Light Street Arch

PowerPoint Presentation:

Light Street Roundabout circa 1966

PowerPoint Presentation:

View of rickshaw along Farquhar Street with former Penang Free School (now Penang State Museum).

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street name was derived from Sir George William Robert Campbell, he was Penang Inspector General during 1866 to 1891, at the same time, act as Lieutenant-Governor of Penang about 1 years from 1872. Campbell Street in Chinese called 新街,meaning 'new street' created between Pitt Street and Penang Road. It is a red light district, and supported by businesses such as opium shops, barber shops, watch shops, medical halls, textile shops, jewelery shops and the most attractive was a lined of brothels. In Hokkien, the local called it 'Sin Kay', as a pun to mean 'fresh hooker' brought in from China to fill the courtesans quarters along the street. Before the abolition of licensed prostitution around 1930, Campbell Street was known as high-class Chinese brothels, they advertise themselves by hanging red lanterns at their doors. In Malay, Campbell Street was called 'Jalan Nona Baru' which means 'new maidens' street. The Cantonese used to call it Fa Kai means Flower Street. The 'Fa' represent the prostitutes in refined term.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street circa 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street circa 1900

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Campbell Street, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Transfer Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Transfer Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Peel Avenue, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bagan Jermal Roundabout, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Jelutong Road: Jelutong was once regarded as a notorious area with gangsters and thugs, until the 1980s. — Penang Postcard Collection 1899-1930s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway Bottom Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Postcard view of the cars of the original, unsuccessful Penang Hills Railway.

PowerPoint Presentation:

The old Penang railway coach with open windows.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hills car on the lower section.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Two of the original cars at a crossing loop

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – bottom loop

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - view looking from the Middle Station towards the Top Station.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Top loop

PowerPoint Presentation:

A 1950's view of cars at the passing loop in the upper line.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Viaduct

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Viaduct

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Viaduct

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Viaduct

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Railway. Penang Hill Railway

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – nearing Top Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Top section of the funicular railway just below the Top Station. The only tunnel on the railway can be seen top left, just below the Top Station.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway – Viaduct & tunnel

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - Top Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - taken about a third of the way up the lower section of the railway on the Bottom Station to Middle Station part. It shows the carriages in the passing loop of that section.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - Top Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - Top Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Railway - Top Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

101 1954-1126 Penang Hill Rly scene from summit Stn 1954

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill - Police Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Old children's play area at the top of Penang Hill. The playground area is occupied by several food and souvenir stalls.'

PowerPoint Presentation:

Strawberry Hill Tea Kiosk. This is a well known landmark on Penang Hill and is still there.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill - Tea Kiosk Crag Hotel

PowerPoint Presentation:

Built as a bungalow in 1890 and converted into a hotel in 1895, the Crag Hotel gained fame as one of a chain of hotels, including the E & O in George Town, the Raffles in Singapore and the Strand in Rangoon, owned by the Armenian Sarkies Brothers. The Crag Hotel was very popular before the Second World War after which it remained empty for ten years. From 1955 the site housed Uplands School run by the Incorporated Society of Planters which leased the property from the State until 1977. Since then the site has been under the care of the State Public Works Department. It was used as a location for the 1992 Academy Award winning French film 'Indochine'. 

PowerPoint Presentation:

097 1954-1126 View from Penang Hill Police Station 1954

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill

PowerPoint Presentation:

Children's Playground, Tea Kiosk, Penang Hill

PowerPoint Presentation:

098 1954-1126 Alf by Cannon Penang Hill 1954

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Hill Mosque, circa 1970s

PowerPoint Presentation:

View from Penang Hill Hotel c. 1985

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bridge leading to Kek Lok Si Temple and Lok Lean Restaurant, Ayer Itam

PowerPoint Presentation:

Aerial view of Kek Lok Si Temple circa 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Kek Lok Si Temple, Ayer Itam

PowerPoint Presentation:

Kek Lok Si Temple, Ayer Itam

PowerPoint Presentation:

Ayer Itam Temple

PowerPoint Presentation:

Ayer Itam Temple

PowerPoint Presentation:

Sikh guards looking at the two remaining buildings – a pawn shop and a police station – which survived the Great Fire of 3 rd Feb 1935 in Ayer Itam .

PowerPoint Presentation:

Youth enjoying the swimming pool at the Eastern Garden Amusement Park in Ayer Itam in 1950. The popular park lost its lustre after several drowning incidents. — Pic taken from Glimpses of Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Ayer Itam Valley circa 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Pahang Road F.M.S. Old Cars Bus

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Buddhist Association building circa 1970 , Anson Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Escoy Smelting Sdn Bhd plant and Birch House at Dato Keramat Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Dr Sun Yat Sen’s old residence along Dato Keramat Road that were demolished during the 1960s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Sun Yat Sen’s daughters, Sun Yan (right) and Sun Wan, studied in St George’s in 1911. — Photos taken from ‘Giving Our Best: The Story of St George’s Girls’ School, Penang, 1885-2010. According to Khoo Salma Nasution , in her book, Sun Yat Sen in Penang , Dr Sun, together with his first wife Madam Lu Muzhen & two daughters, Sun Yan and Sun Wan, lived there. The girls attended school at nearby St George’s Girls School. His second wife, Chen Cuifen , would to join him in Penang later. “When Dr Sun’s family was living in Penang, they could not even afford to pay their monthly house rent of $20. The Penang supporters discussed Dr Sun’s situation and undertook to provide his family with $120 and $130 each month for their living expenses,” she wrote. Dr Sun would take a third wife, Soong Qingling , in his later life. May Ling, the youngest sister, married the late Chiang Kai Shek , the president of Taiwan, and eldest sister, Ai Ling, married HH Kung, one of the richest men in China then.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Jail Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Water Fall Road, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Botanical Gardens Entrance circa 1939

PowerPoint Presentation:

Macaques at Penang Botanical Gardens circa 1939

PowerPoint Presentation:

Botanical Garden, Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Botanical Garden & the monkeys

PowerPoint Presentation:

Glugor House and Spice Plantation in 1817

PowerPoint Presentation:

Fine view of the RIce FIelds Terrace at BUKIT DAMBUL, Bayan Lepas

PowerPoint Presentation:

Snake Temple, Bayan Lepas. Note the presence of vegetation surrounding the temple.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Snake Temple, Bayan Lepas

PowerPoint Presentation:

Snake Temple, Bayan Lepas

PowerPoint Presentation:

Snake Temple, Bayan Lepas

PowerPoint Presentation:

Malayan Airways DC3 plane at Bayan Lepas Airport circa 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Swimming Club, Tanjung Bungah

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Swimming Club aerial view, Tanjung Bungah , 1969 (Courtesy Jo-Anne Rendle )

PowerPoint Presentation:

Balik Pulau Roundabout

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bagan Jermal Roundabout

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tanjung Tokong

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tanjung Tokong

PowerPoint Presentation:

Malay attap house in Tanjong Tokong c. 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Cars parked by the roadside at a village on Penang island c. 1920

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bullock cart on a rural road c. 1960

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tanjung Bungah

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tobacco Farm c. 1930

PowerPoint Presentation:

Main Road, Butterworth circa 1900

PowerPoint Presentation:

Prye River (Prai River) c. 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Street Hawkers In The 30's

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Boria Troupe Source: Penang State Museum

PowerPoint Presentation:

Chinese Wedding Musical Procession, circa 1910

PowerPoint Presentation:

Captain Ah Kevie House ,Church Street, circa 1905

PowerPoint Presentation:

Bullock cart

PowerPoint Presentation:

Rickshaw

PowerPoint Presentation:

Rickshaw

PowerPoint Presentation:

Rickshaw & Troley bus - Ayer Itam in the 40’s

PowerPoint Presentation:

A trishaw (left) and a jinrickshaw (right; a Japanese invention). This photo must be after the Japanese war (after WWII 1941-1945).

PowerPoint Presentation:

Map showing the 1914 route of the tram from Swettenham Pier as far as the Electric Tramway Office (and Depot), near the Gaol. It also shows the branch line to Sungei Penang.

PowerPoint Presentation:

This is a continuation of the first map showing the route of the Penang Tram in 1914 from the Electric Tram Office as far as Ayer Itam, via Kampong Bharu.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tram car

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tram car

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tram car

PowerPoint Presentation:

This was taken around the Magazine Road Junction. The local name, ' Simpang Enam ', refers to the junction of six roads - Magazine Road, Brick Kiln Road, Dato ' Kramat Road, Macalister Road, Penang Road, and Gladstone Road.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tram car, Magazine Station

PowerPoint Presentation:

Tram car

PowerPoint Presentation:

The electric tram ran on single track through picturesque coconut grove in the Ayer Itam countryside.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Electric bus, Dato Keramat Road & Macalister Road

PowerPoint Presentation:

Trolley bus No. 1 on Penang Road. Note the 'life guard', a front metal grill put on very early British-built trolley buses to reduce the risk of injury to any unfortunate person who might happen to fall in front of it.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Trolley bus

PowerPoint Presentation:

Special edition Trolleybus No. 1A - possibly the smallest of its kind in the world - servicing the Penang Hill route, seen here at the Anti-War Memorial terminal.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Viewsof the Standard RSJ Trolleybus Type C at the junction of Penang Road and Prangin Road.

PowerPoint Presentation:

RSJ 'Small Light Type' No. 27 swinging past the Anti-War Memorial en route from Ayer Itam to the Jetty in the early 1950s. Note the green colour code of the square attachment mounted over the destination box.

PowerPoint Presentation:

3 LTE trolleybuses still in London livery at the depot in 1956 with 175 on the left, 183 on the right and the back end of 138 in view behind 183. That's Derek Watts cluttering up the front. London Trolleybuses exported to Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Trolleybus No. 23 (ex-London Transport 183) stopping in front of the police headquarters on Penang Road, on the Jelutong to Jetty service. London Trolleybuses exported to Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

Ex London #148 [GTMT #21] London Trolleybuses exported to Penang

PowerPoint Presentation:

London Trolleybuses exported to Penang The same bus in London before exported to Penang. Shepherds Bush Green at the terminal point on the South Side of the Green at the eastern end, facing westwards.

PowerPoint Presentation:

London Trolleybuses exported to Penang Ex London #138 [GTMT #24] before repainting at depot

PowerPoint Presentation:

London Trolleybuses exported to Penang Ex London #138 [GTMT #24] at Ayer Itam Chinese War Memorial

PowerPoint Presentation:

London Trolleybuses exported to Penang Ex London #142 [GTMT #20] at Ayer Itam Chinese War Memorial

PowerPoint Presentation:

“SS Violet”Penang Ferry

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Ferry

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Ferry 50’s

PowerPoint Presentation:

Penang Ferry

PowerPoint Presentation:

Unearthing of tramway track at the Chulia Street-Penang Road junction in 2004.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Unearthing of tramway track at the Chulia Street-Penang Road junction in 2004.

PowerPoint Presentation:

Allied Forces liberated Penang at the end of August. Jap surrender party signed off the war aboard HMS Nelson lying off Georgetown. Jap truck carrying Royal Marine occupying force passes through excited crowd in Penang. SEPT 1945

PowerPoint Presentation:

An A-class Japanese submarine at Penang Port around April 1942

PowerPoint Presentation:

The End! Compiled by Tango123

authorStream Live Help