Community Expectations

Category: Education

Presentation Description

No description available.


Presentation Transcript

community expectations:

community expectations An Overview of Residence Life & Housing Policies & Procedures

Outcomes :

Outcomes Students will understand policies and procedures as they relate to living on campus. Students will be prepared to educate residents on policies and procedures.

Purpose of Policies:

Purpose of Policies These policies and procedures in place to: Ensure safety Encourage healthy communities Promote welcoming environments As part of the Residential Life & Housing staff, it is your responsibility to abide by and educate residents about these policies.

Guidelines & policies:

Guidelines & policies A full list of residential polices is available online by searching for “Residential Living Guidelines & Policies ” on the Dickinson College website . We will review these guidelines and policies within the next few slides.

Alcohol policy:

Alcohol policy “In accordance with the college's Community Standards, students who are under the legal age for possession/consumption of alcohol may not have alcohol in their residential space. Guests who are of age to possess/consume alcohol may not have alcohol in spaces where the residents are not of the legal age .”  


Alcohol In situations that involve alcohol in the residential environment, students’ safety is the primary concern. The following slides will review the proper methods for responding to situations involving alcohol in the residence halls.


Alcohol Small gathering ( 2-10 people) consuming a minimal amount of alcohol = “Dump It ” & submit an incident report Student walking through hallway with alcohol (closed or open) = “Dump It” & submit an incident report

Alcohol…when to call DPS:

Alcohol…when to call DPS Non-compliant students Multiple warnings given Large event in a room (8-20 people) Individuals consuming excessive alcohol (case(s) of beer and/or handle(s) of liquor) or playing drinking games Possibility of non-responsive student or a student who’s safety you do not feel comfortable assessing. Some signs may be: Slurred speech Unresponsive to prompts Violent behavior Vomiting Shallow breathing Loss of balance


appliances “The following appliances have been approved for residential use within your bedroom: - Personal refrigerator no larger than 4.1 cubic feet   - Microwave oven using less than 700 watts - UL approved coffee makers - Any appliances with concealed heating elements (ex. hot pots) - Multiple strip outlets (fused, with at least 14 gauge wire, grounded cord) are allowed when needed to power electronic devices. The following appliances are not permitted in residential facilities: - Any electrical appliances with open heating elements (hot plates, George Forman Grills, barbeques, toasters/toaster ovens) - Halogen lamps - Concealed extension cords or multiple outlet adapters .”


bicycles “You are permitted to have a bicycle on campus. Storage spaces or racks are provided around the campus at a variety of locations. You may not store bicycles in lounges, hallways or stairwells as this can block an exit in case of an emergency evacuation. If your bicycle is stolen or damaged, it is your responsibility to report it to the Department of Public Safety .”

Community billing:

Community billing “The purpose of community billing is to promote individual responsibility and to hold students mutually accountable for the condition of their shared living spaces. Public areas (i.e . corridors , stairways, lounges, bathrooms) are the collective responsibility of the residents of that suite, wing, floor, or building, apartment or house. Charges for damages to those areas may be divided among the residents of those facilities. Areas covered under the community billing policy may include, but are not limited to vandalism, stolen furniture, or housekeeping charges in a common or public area when it is not directly possible to determine the responsible person(s ).”

Decorating your residential space:

Decorating your residential space “You may not make any permanent or semi-permanent alterations to the room, including structure, painting, partitions, paneling and electrical system modifications. You may not affix anything to any internal or external structure of the housing facility (e.g., satellite television dish, antenna, etc.) or have anything hanging or protruding from the facility, unless approved by the Director of Residence Life and Housing. Lights  - You may not have halogen or decorative lights, including string lights. Wall Decorations  - You may not use screws, nails, staples, adhesives such as Scotch or duct tape on walls. Glue may not be used on walls, furniture or floors. Nothing may be hung on ceilings, sprinkler pipes, block fire safety devices or block any egress or exit, including any tapestries or other fabric items.  Holiday Decorations  - No cut or live trees or wreaths are permitted in college-operated residential facilities .”

Flammable material:

Flammable material “Spark or flame-producing items such as fireworks, firecrackers, explosive materials, candles, incense burners, oil burning lamps and lanterns are prohibited in all residential spaces. Grills may not be used or stored indoors. All grills must be placed at least 25 feet from any building and may never be used on rooftops, roof decks or fire escapes. Do not dump hot coals onto the grass or into a trashcan. Cold coals may be emptied into trashcans. You may not store gasoline motors of any type, including motorcycles, mopeds, etc., within residential spaces. You may not keep fuels, such as gasoline or propane, in residential spaces .”


furniture “All furniture must remain in the assigned room. No college-provided furnishings may be removed from the room. You may provide additional furnishings such as carpets, chairs and sofas as long as the items meet federal fire resistance standards; however they may not block or unduly restrict exits to the room. All personal articles must be removed prior to your departure from your room or you may be charged for the removal of property not original to the room. Outlined below are additional guidelines to adhere to when furnishing your residential space: - Waterbeds are prohibited - Do not place mattresses directly on the floor.  - Only beds specifically designed to be lofted will be permitted.  - Do not use concrete blocks or bricks to raise the bed, as these cause unusual wear and tear and pose a potential safety hazard. Bed raisers specifically designed for this purpose are permitted.  - No college-issued furniture may be used for outdoor purposes, unless it is deck furniture on approved balconies, porches or other outside areas.  - Lounge or common room furniture may not be removed from the public area and/or placed in individual rooms. “

Guest policy:

Guest policy “A guest is considered anyone not currently assigned to the residential living space in question, including other Dickinson students. The college encourages you to have guests visit you in your room with the consent of your roommate(s). Students are reminded that residential spaces are shared spaces and you should proactively discuss with your roommate(s) how to manage guests and any additional policies that will govern guests in the room. Especially in the case of an overnight guest you should consult and work with your roommate(s) ahead of time to determine what will be most appropriate. A student should expect to have access to his or her room without the presence of inhabitants not assigned to that space by the college. Guests are not permitted to stay in your room for more than any 2 consecutive nights.  No guests may visit more than a total of 7 days per semester . You are responsible for the behavior of your guests and for informing your guests of the appropriate policies.  Guests to the college should remember that they are subject to the laws, rules and regulations governing behavior in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Dickinson College. Dickinson students will be held responsible for the behavior of their guests and may face disciplinary proceedings within the Community Standards as a result of the behavior of a guest .”  

Hall recreation:

Hall recreation “You may not play sports in any public areas or hallways of any residential building, including, but not limited to roller-blading, skateboarding and bicycle riding .”

Lock Outs:

Lock Outs “For the first two weeks of every semester there will be no charge for lock-outs. After the first two weeks there will be a $25 charge for every lock-out handled by Residence Life and Housing staff or Public Safety staff. If a student is locked out more than three (3) times in a semester, the charge will increase to $50 per occurrence. If you are locked out of your residence, you should contact the following as applicable: - Traditional Residence Halls can contact the RA on duty for assistance from 7:30 pm until 1:00 am. You can contact an RA on duty by calling the duty phone for the area. DPS will handle lockouts from 1:00 am until 7:30 pm.  ”

Noise guidelines:

Noise guidelines “To support your academic success, the college maintains both quiet hours and courtesy hours in all residences. Courtesy hours means that residents are prohibited from making noise that significantly disturbs other residents, including those in the Carlisle community. During quiet hours, noise should not be heard outside your room, suite or apartment. Quiet hours are as follows: - Sunday through Thursday, 10:00 pm until 8:00 am the following morning - Friday and Saturday, midnight until 10:00 am the following morning Quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day during Reading Periods and Final Exams. Any disturbance of the larger community (floor, building or neighbors) is not permitted during these times .”

Addressing Noise:

Addressing Noise When possible, we should encourage students to talk to one another if they have concerns about a peer’s noise level. However, there are times where they may not feel comfortable doing this or may have already taken this step. To address noise, simply knock on the door and ask if the residents can close the door or keep down the noise level.

Noise Follow Up:

Noise Follow Up If you have conversations with a room multiple times in one evening and the issue still persists, contacting DPS is an option. Record all necessary information within your nightly Moodle report following the incident.


Pets “You may not keep or host pets in residential facilities unless it is fish within a bowl or tank. The bowl or tank may not exceed 20 gallons in a residence hall. The college will not be responsible for the care of fish during break periods. Violation of the pet policy may result in damage billing for the replacement and/or refurbishment of carpeting, furniture or other affected areas of the facility. Failure to remove the pet from the residence in a timely manner may result in removal by animal control services .”

Room changes, reassignments, & vacancies:

Room changes, reassignments, & vacancies “Requests for room changes must be made directly to the Residence Life and Housing office and are limited at times due to space availability. The change of rooms or substitution of one occupant for another without approval in writing from the Residence Life and Housing office is prohibited. You should work with a professional staff member in Residence Life and Housing to discuss options related to a room change request. Room/hall changes are not permitted during the first two weeks of each semester in order to complete accurate occupancy reporting .”


smoking “Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the residential spaces, including rooms, bathrooms, lounges, hallways and stairwells. Additionally, smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of residential buildings. Smoking is limited to a location that does not impede traffic flow in and out of residence halls and where smoke cannot drift into the interior of residence halls .”

Misc. procedures for residence life & housing staff:

Misc. procedures for residence life & housing staff

Room Entry:

Room Entry When a resident is not present, you should only enter a room when you have explicit instruction to do so from Residence Life & Housing staff. You should always have another RA or CA with you when you enter a room. Always knock loudly and announce your name, your title, and the purpose of your visit.

Physical Assault/Fighting:

Physical Assault/Fighting If you encounter violence/physical assault, call DPS. Remain calm. What not to do : Corner or crowd a hostile individual Physically involve yourself in the situation Attempt to touch the individual Blame anyone Ignore the hostile individual

Physical Assault/Fighting:

Physical Assault/Fighting Often times you will not encounter the actual physical altercation but instead learn of a situation after it may have occurred. First make sure the student reporting the incident feels safe and ask/assess if they need any necessary medical attention. Even if the student who was involved in the altercation does not wish to make a formal report, you should contact DPS and make them aware of the situation.


Vandalism/damage Identify the vandalism/damage Immediate community risk/hazard, permanent damage, vandalism targeted toward specific group of people, physical or emotional threat – Call DPS Other damage that does not require immediate attention – consult with supervisor Record incident on your nightly report and/or an incident report depending on the situation

Excessive Trash :

Excessive Trash If you observe excessive trash in the hallway or in common areas, please attempt to discuss the matter with members of the community . If there is trash outside someone’s room, knock on the door and ask them to remove it if it belongs to them.

Bodily Fluids:

Bodily Fluids Do not touch the bodily fluids. Call DPS. DPS will send Facilities to clean up.

Entry Points:

Entry Points When entering a building, do not allow people you do not recognize as residents of the building enter behind/with you. If you see someone suspicious – call DPS immediately or if you feel comfortable, inquire about their intentions If you observe a propped door or window that may give access from the exterior of the building, please remove the propped item or close and lock the window. If this is not possible, contact DPS immediately. Other a ccess issues: Taped doors – remove tape! Doors left wide open – close them! Residents should not share ID cards or keys with others.

Lost Keys/IDs:

Lost Keys/IDs Resident lost a key – tell them to contact DPS. Students will be charged $100 for each key that needs to be prepared. Resident lost Dickinson ID - notify the ID Office of Dining Services. There will be a $20 fee to replace a lost card . If you learn of a student who has lost their key but continues to leave their room unlocked, please consult with your supervisor.

Confidentiality vs. Privacy:

Confidentiality vs. Privacy Agreeing to confidentiality means you are agreeing to not tell anyone. You are unable to promise confidentiality as there are some things you may be required to share with your supervisor. Agreeing to keep something private means you are agreeing to only share with the people you need to share information with. We encourage you to share with your residents that you can keep information private. Please remember that this includes information given to you within or outside of your role as an RA.

The End!:

The End!

authorStream Live Help