Coleraine's digital timeline

Views:
 
Category: Entertainment
     
 

Presentation Description

Coleraine Museum, in association with the BBC Turn Back Time Series, held an event on 4th December inviting members of the public to bring along photographs and memorabilia of the town to create a timeline.

Comments

Presentation Transcript

Slide 2: 

Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 3: 

Church Street, c.1890s Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 4: 

Waterside, 1891 Courtesy of Barbara Hill

Slide 5: 

Church Street, c. 1900s Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 6: 

Waterside, c. 1900s This photograph looks from Waterside across the River Bann and toward the town centre. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 7: 

Church Street This photographs shows a greengrocers with their goods displayed on a table outside. Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 8: 

Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 9: 

The Gribbon Linen Mill, c. 1908 One of the illustrations from a beautiful illustrated 'Address' by the workers of Edward Gribbon & Sons Ltd. to celebrate H A Gribbon's 50 years in business in 1908. Courtesy of John Gribbon

Slide 10: 

Main Street, Coleraine, 1909 Courtesy of Barbara Hill

Slide 11: 

Waterside and Captain Street Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 12: 

The Diamond Coleraine, c. 1905 Courtesy of Sean Curtis

Slide 13: 

Church Street, c.1910s Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 14: 

Kingsgate Street, c. 1911 Courtesy of Sean Curtis

Slide 15: 

Bridge Street Coleraine, c. 1910s Courtesy of Sean Curtis

Slide 16: 

Coleraine from Jackson Hall side of the River Bann Courtesy of Sean Curtis

Slide 17: 

Fountain and Bridge Street, Coleraine Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 18: 

Clifton Terrace on Millburn Road, c. 1913 Courtesy of Diana Kirkpatrick

Slide 19: 

Town Hall, Coleraine Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 20: 

Shop at the Cutts Courtesy of Diana Kirkpatrick

Kingsgate Street, c.1910This photograph shows Todd’s china shop on the corner, Nevin’s tobacconist shop and across the road, McKay’s Newsagents. Courtesy of Tommy McDonald : 

Kingsgate Street, c.1910This photograph shows Todd’s china shop on the corner, Nevin’s tobacconist shop and across the road, McKay’s Newsagents. Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 22: 

Newmarket Street, c.1910 Newmarket Street was lined with public houses to accommodate those attending the market. Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 23: 

Cunningham’s, c.1910s “Number forty three is a great character, Daniel Cunningham, describing himself as Daniel in the Lions Den, as opposed to Mr Cunningham of the hotel, when he wanted to make a distinction when he was standing for the council in Coleraine.” W.F Lake, The Bann Disc, Volume 8, ‘Shops and businesses Coleraine’, p.86 Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 24: 

Jamie Daly’s Blacksmith Shop, c.1910s Stone Row Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 25: 

Church Street, c.1912 Courtesy of Barbara Hill

Slide 26: 

Dixon & Co Tailors, c.1913 “Men changed from their good trousers into old ones to work as they sat cross-legged on the floor. There was a large stove in the middle of the room, where the irons for pressing garments were heated; the iron was called a goose. Beside each tailor sat a board which they would lift onto their knees when they wanted to press sleeves etc.” Barbara Hill, The Bann Disc, Volume 5, ‘Dixon’s of Coleraine’, p.89 Courtesy of Barbara Hill, Dixon’s

Slide 27: 

Church Street, c.1915 This photograph of Church Street taken from the Town Hall shows Moorhead’s drapers shop on the left corner and Anderson’s Emporium on the right corner. The Anderson family lived in Spring Gardens, which is within the grounds of Coleraine High School and used to house the boarders. Courtesy of Tommy McDonald, photograph taken by R.J. Welch

Slide 28: 

McKay & Co, Kingsgate Street, c.1915 David McKay sold books, stationary, fancy goods and souvenirs. His window displays a fine array of his goods for sale. Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 29: 

Church Street, c.1920s MacFarlane Motors was owned and run by Sam McFarlane. Tom McFarlane, Sam’s father, ran a separate business in the town as a funeral furnisher. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 30: 

Lodge Road, c.1920s Courtesy of Barbara Hill

Slide 31: 

Queen Street, c. 1925 Courtesy of Diana Kirkpatrick

Slide 32: 

Turners Greengrocers, Kingsgate Street c. 1923 Courtesy of William McGugan

Slide 33: 

‘Grandfather and Uncle Robert’, Morrison’s, Railway Road c. 1928 Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 34: 

Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 35: 

Church Street, c.1930s This photograph shows Robert Smyth’s drapers shop which was founded in 1928. At this time the family lived on the premises. Caldwell’s was run by James Caldwell, a painter and picture framer. Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 36: 

Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 37: 

Church Street, c.1933 Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 38: 

Dixon & Co, Church Street This photograph shows Dixon’s of Coleraine, which moved from Railway Road to its current premises on Church Street in 1929. Courtesy of Barbara Hill, Dixon’s

Slide 39: 

Stanley Engineering Works Choir, c. 1947 Courtesy of Eileen Gregory

Slide 40: 

Killowen, c.1950s This photograph shows Clements, a grocer’s store on the corner of Kyle’s Brae. Sammy Walker Collection, Coleraine Museum

Slide 41: 

Interior of the Maypole, c.1950s Courtesy of Tommy McDonald

Slide 42: 

1st Coleraine Presbyterian Church Choir, c. 1952 Courtesy of Eileen Gregory

Slide 43: 

R. McIntosh’s window display, 1956 Church Street This window, dressed by Willis McCloskey, took first place in the Wolf Cup Drill and Accessories Competition. Courtesy of Willis and John McCloskey, McCloskey’s Hardware Store

Slide 44: 

Woolworth’s Staff, 1957 “In the 1950’s it had wide, slightly sloping wooden counters which were divided up by glass partitions and covered with sheets of glass…This was the era when Woolworths could supply many of the basic items on anyone’s shopping list for example – a zip, shoe polish, toys, jewellery, stationery, cups, records, etc. At this time too the shop assistants stood behind the counters and provided a very personal service by getting you the items you required from below the protective glass, before taking your money and wrapping up your purchase.” Jennifer Cunningham, The Bann Disc, Volume 14, ‘Woolies’, p.51 Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 45: 

The Diamond, c.1958 This photograph shows a side view of the Corporation Arms Hotel. You can see Bishop’s on the right hand side. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 46: 

Morrison’s, c.1960s This photograph shows R.Morrison and his staff outside his confectionary shop and milk bar which was located on Railway Road. Courtesy of Jennifer Cunningham

Slide 47: 

Church Street, c.1960s This photograph shows John McCandless’ shop and Tylers shoe shop. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 48: 

H.&T. Bellas. Ltd, 1964 Courtesy of Willis and John McCloskey, McCloskey’s Hardware Store

Slide 49: 

Staff from the Fern Room, Dixon’s & Co., 1967 Courtesy of Barbara Hill, Dixon’s

Slide 50: 

Queen’s Street, c. 1988 This photograph shows R.J.B Moody’s grocers, a family run firm, which was in the town for over 75 years. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 51: 

McCloskey’s Staff, 26th May 1990 Courtesy of Willis and John McCloskey, Mc Closkey’s hardware store

Slide 52: 

Church Street, c.1990s This photograph shows John McCandless’ shop, Next and Tylers. Coleraine Museum Collection

Slide 53: 

Church Street, 4th December 2010

Slide 54: 

Streetscape created on the event day by local children

authorStream Live Help