30th anniversary presentation by Dave Necklen

Views:
 
Category: Entertainment
     
 

Presentation Description

History of Hawne Basin by Dave Necklen

Comments

Presentation Transcript

The Story of Coombeswood Canal Trust:

The Story of Coombeswood Canal Trust Hawne Basin in working days, drawn by Ron Eason

Some key dates in the history of Hawne Basin:

Some key dates in the history of Hawne Basin 1798 The Dudley No.2 canal is opened from Park Head to Selly Oak. Early 1800s The original Basin is built, probably to serve Hawne Colliery, thought to be the oldest colliery in Halesowen. A horse-drawn tramroad led to the basin from the colliery across the river Stour, over a stone bridge which still exists. The colliery ceased production in 1883.

Slide3:

Tramway to Hawne Basin shown on OS map c.1842

Slide4:

The original Hawne Basin prior to 1902

Some key dates in the history of Hawne Basin:

Some key dates in the history of Hawne Basin 1898 A Great Western Railways Act authorises construction of the Halesowen Basin Branch. The Basin is enlarged and railway access and sidings built. 1902 The rail branch from Halesowen station to Hawne Basin is opened on 2nd April. The railway line ascended on a long curve at a constant and steep gradient of 1:38.

Slide6:

Hawne Basin in the railway era 1902

Slide7:

Local railways 1902

Slide8:

The railway to Hawne Basin 1914

Slide9:

Rail layout at Halesowen station post 1914 showing basin branch

Slide10:

Pannier tank No. 8767 at Halesowen Canal Basin Junction 29th June 1966

Slide11:

Artists view of Hawne Basin in working days

Slide12:

Hawne Basin c. 1966

Slide13:

Hawne Basin c. 1966

Slide14:

Hawne Basin c. 1966

Slide15:

Hawne Basin c. 1966

Slide16:

Hawne Basin c. 1966

Slide17:

Boats arriving at Hawne Basin 1965

Slide18:

Hawne Basin 1965

Slide19:

Demise of Hawne Basin June 5th 1967 . Boat traffic ceases, Basin closed. The railway remains open to supply Walter Sommers. Oct 1st 1969 . Basin Branch railway closed. 1970 . Transshipment shed demolished, rail lines lifted.

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust:

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust 1975 IWA Birmingham Branch establishes the Waterways Sub-committee with a remit of listing all important waterways structures (historical buildings etc.) on the BCN. The Waterways Sub-committee seeks to preserve and restore such structures wherever possible. Letters are written to Dudley Council and others promoting the value of Hawne Basin for moorings etc.

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust:

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust 1976 Positive responses are obtained from Dudley MBC and West Midlands County Council. The Waterways Sub-committee sets up a steering committee to initiate the restoration and management of the Basin; first meeting 14th October 1976. The steering committee decide to become the Coombeswood Canal Company to seek the retention of Hawne Basin and its development for boating and related activities. DMBC & WMCC seek CPO for the Basin

Coombeswood Canal Company the first Committee 1976:

Coombeswood Canal Company the first Committee 1976 Geoff Setchfield Chairman Penny Clover Secretary Marian Yardley Treasurer Dave Necklen Publicity Dick Mantle Harbourmaster Ray Tennison Membership Frank Rowley General duties Graham Yardley General duties Peter Stokes General duties

Slide23:

IWA “Navigation” spring 1977. Our first publicity.

Slide24:

IWA “Navigation” spring 1977. Our first impression of the restored basin

Slide25:

IWA “Navigation” spring 1977. Notice for the BBQ

Slide26:

IWA “Navigation” spring 1977. Notice for The Sponsored Walk

Slide27:

Express & Star May 21st 1977

Slide28:

Express & Star May 21st 1977

Slide29:

Express & Star May 21st 1977

Express & Star August 17th 1977:

Express & Star August 17th 1977

Express & Star August 17th 1977:

Express & Star August 17th 1977

Slide32:

IWA BBQ / cruise to Hawne Basin Sept 17th 1977

Slide33:

IWA Autumn cruise 1977

Slide34:

IWA Autumn cruise 1977

Slide35:

Tug at steelworks 1977

Slide36:

Sponsored Walk 18th Sept 1977

Slide37:

Express & Star 17th September 1977

Slide38:

November 29th 1977 First meeting of members Seven Stars Hotel Seisden. Letter to members from Penny Clover (Secretary)

Slide39:

Express & Star November 25th 1977

Slide40:

The Basin in December 1977

Slide41:

The Basin in December 1977

Slide42:

Burton Bridge December 1977

January 1978 The first Newsletter:

January 1978 The first Newsletter

Slide44:

Express & Star January 23rd 1978

Slide45:

1978 January 24th Coombeswood Canal Company Second Members Meeting at “The Old Bush Revived” Powke Lane, Blackheath. Frank Rowley gave slide show of BCN

Slide46:

1978 Summer 1978 - Netherton Tunnel closed for repairs. IWA National Rally moved from Windmill End to Titford Pools. Negotiations with British Rail for purchase of Basin move very slowly.

Slide47:

Joey boat at Black Country Museum 1978

Slide48:

1979 Announced in January that Hawne Basin is now in ownership of Dudley MBC. Basin and canal arm dredged by dragline, dredgings spread on land formerly occupied by rail lines. Work funded by WMCC.

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust:

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust 24th May 1979 Meeting held at the Caslon Hall, Halesowen Library to discuss the formation of a Trust to operate Hawne Basin. Representatives from Dudley MBC and West Midlands County Council, waterways societies including CCC, and BW. An Advisory Group is set up to consider the operation of the Basin. CCC becomes CCT.

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust:

Some key dates in the history of Coombeswood Canal Trust 14th June 1979 The Advisory Group meets at the Caslon Hall, Halesowen Library to discuss the operation of Hawne Basin. The prospectus of the Coombeswood Canal Company/Trust is an acceptable brief for the CCT to work to under the general supervision of DMBC. CCT recommended as the body to operate the Basin on behalf of the Council and in the general interests of the public. CCT to become a charity.

Slide51:

Our first Prospectus 1979

Slide52:

1979 SGM held on10th July approves name change from CCC to CCT. our membership numbers around 50. Draft lease agreed with Dudley in September. Fund-raising scheme launched (John Wilkinson). Netherton Tunnel remains closed, no funding for repairs.

Slide53:

Fund-raising form 1979

Slide54:

1980 January. Permission to occupy Hawne Basin. Feb/Mar Dredgings have dried, so the land was levelled and covered with shale. April 5-6 . Easter Rally held at the Basin

Slide55:

Rail sidings in-filled with dredgings Jan 1980

Slide56:

Shale and dredgings being spread February 1980

Slide57:

Shale spread Feb 1980

Slide58:

Shale spread, no fence Feb 1980

Slide59:

CRB April 1980

Slide60:

CRB April 1980

Slide61:

On the way to the Easter Rally 1980

Slide62:

The tug house Easter 1980

Slide63:

Tunnel approaches at Old Hill Easter 1980

Slide64:

The tug house 1920

Slide65:

Easter Rally April 5-6 1980

Slide66:

Easter Rally 1980

Slide67:

Easter Rally 1980

Slide68:

Easter Rally 1980

Slide69:

Easter Rally 1980

Slide70:

Easter Rally 1980

Slide71:

End of navigation April 1980

Slide72:

1980 August. First mooring boat arrives Tony Jennings “Interlude” Sept. Two residential boats arrive; John Rudge “Betty” and Richard Hurley “Joseph”. Registration of CCT as a Charity on-going Security fencing erected, no gates! Work parties underway Dec. Gates fitted, Basin secure.

Slide73:

Geoff Setchfield at work party, Autumn 1980

Slide74:

First boat arrives Sept 1980 “Interlude” Tony Jennings

Slide75:

Express & Star, November 24th 1980

Slide76:

January 1981 - 5 boats and the caravan!

Slide77:

1981 Jan/Feb. Water supply & sewage disposal working. 10 moorers in Basin. Chris Burton rebuilding bridge. April 18-20. Easter Rally at Basin, not Windmill End. Stourbridge locks re-open Fri 17th at 5pm. May. Basin wall repairs underway, YOPs. Toilet block construction to start .

Slide78:

Our moorers, February 1981

Slide79:

John Rudge at work, Feb 1981

Slide80:

February 1981

Slide81:

Chris Burton at work, January 1981

Slide82:

Chris Burton at work, February 1981

Craneage of boats, Feb 1981:

Craneage of boats, Feb 1981

Slide84:

Boat craneage 1981

Slide85:

February 1981

Slide86:

February 1981

Slide87:

Original dovetailed cast iron coping plates, 1981

Slide88:

February 1981

Slide89:

Feb/March 1981

Slide90:

Easter rally 1981

Slide91:

Easter rally 1981

Slide92:

School children plant trees, Feb 1982

Slide93:

Trees planted, Feb 1982

Slide94:

Trees planted, E&S 23rd Feb 1982

Slide95:

Easter Rally 1982 Windmill End

Slide96:

CCT Easter Rally Windmill End, 10-11 April 1982

Slide97:

Easter Rally 1982 Express & Star front page

Slide98:

Easter Rally 1982 The news story

Slide99:

Formation of Coombeswood Canal Trust as constituted for registration as a charity, June 29 1982

Slide100:

August 28th 1982 Opening (by Mayor of Dudley) and naming (by David Hutchings) of “Burton Bridge”

Slide101:

Bridge opening ceremony 1982

Slide102:

Halesowen News August 30th 1982 Chris Burton, David Hutchings, and the Mayor of Dudley at opening ceremony

Slide103:

Halesowen News, August 30th 1982

Slide104:

Express & Star August 30th 1982 Chris Burton at opening ceremony

Slide105:

Something on the prop 1982

BCNS / CCT work party at Old Hill, Nov 7th 1982:

BCNS / CCT work party at Old Hill, Nov 7th 1982

Found something?:

Found something?

Up she comes!:

Up she comes!

Slide109:

BCNS / CCT work party at Old Hill, Nov 7th 1982

Slide110:

BCNS / CCT work party at Old Hill, Nov 7th 1982 (E&S Nov 8th)

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1982:

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1982

Side-slip at Steelworks 1979:

Side-slip at Steelworks 1979

Remains of steam boiler by slipway, April 1981:

Remains of steam boiler by slipway, April 1981

Entering Coombeswood Steelworks from basin direction 1988:

Entering Coombeswood Steelworks from basin direction 1988

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1977:

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1977

Coombeswood Steelworks first building from basin 1988:

Coombeswood Steelworks first building from basin 1988

Into the Steelworks 1988:

Into the Steelworks 1988

Looking back, 1988:

Looking back, 1988

Cast iron paving slabs 1981:

Cast iron paving slabs 1981

Coombeswood Steelworks viewed from basin end 1982:

Coombeswood Steelworks viewed from basin end 1982

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1982:

Coombeswood Steelworks from basin end 1982

Crane 1982:

Crane 1982

Nearing tunnel 1982:

Nearing tunnel 1982

Covered wharf 1982:

Covered wharf 1982

Looking back 1982:

Looking back 1982

Crane 1982:

Crane 1982

Nearing the tunnel 1982:

Nearing the tunnel 1982

Gosty Hill tunnel 1980:

Gosty Hill tunnel 1980

March 1983 CCT logo adopted designed by Gunter Toennig:

March 1983 CCT logo adopted designed by Gunter Toennig

Halesowen News - Launch of “Matty Butty” Sept 1983:

Halesowen News - Launch of “Matty Butty” Sept 1983

Launch of “Matty Butty” 1983:

Launch of “Matty Butty” 1983

Sept 1983 “Matty Butty” is bowhauled to the Bonded Warehouse, Stourbridge:

Sept 1983 “Matty Butty” is bowhauled to the Bonded Warehouse, Stourbridge

Express & Star Sept 1983:

Express & Star Sept 1983

1984 Jan. Over 40 boats moored. April 17th Netherton tunnel re-opened. April 21-22 Netherton tunnel re-opening Rally 1985 Jan Approaching 70 boats moored. Sept Electric points completed around basin.:

1984 Jan. Over 40 boats moored. April 17th Netherton tunnel re-opened. April 21-22 Netherton tunnel re-opening Rally 1985 Jan Approaching 70 boats moored. Sept Electric points completed around basin.

The lady Mayor of Dudley & Lord Hunt launch “CARP”, March 4th 1985:

The lady Mayor of Dudley & Lord Hunt launch “CARP”, March 4th 1985

Express & Star March 4th 1985:

Express & Star March 4th 1985

The first “Interchange” March 1986 (Newsletter 33):

The first “Interchange” March 1986 (Newsletter 33)

WW Aug 1986:

WW Aug 1986

WW Aug 1986 Edwin Fasham:

WW Aug 1986 Edwin Fasham

WW Aug 1986 Richard Hurley & Joe Chadwick:

WW Aug 1986 Richard Hurley & Joe Chadwick

Members present! WW Aug 1986:

Members present! WW Aug 1986

1986 September 27-28th The first Black Country Boating Festival Site manager Colin Walker:

1986 September 27-28th The first Black Country Boating Festival Site manager Colin Walker

Prospectus 1986/7:

Prospectus 1986/7

Basin view 1994:

Basin view 1994

“Pride of Sandwell sets out, 1994:

“Pride of Sandwell sets out, 1994

authorStream Live Help