Slide 1: Parts of Speech NOUNS What are Nouns? : What are Nouns? Nouns are names of things, people, places or ideas. Ex. desk, plane, happiness, glory, crowd, London, Ahmed, walker… Every sentence must have a noun. How to identify a Noun? : How to identify a Noun? 1. It can directly follow articles (a, and, the) or quantity words (some, a lot, ten).
(Nouns usually use an article, but not always.)
2. It can be pluralized. (Uncountable nouns do not have a plural form, but you can test these by adding a quantity word such as any or some.) If a word is a noun: Example: Is the word dance a noun? : Example: Is the word dance a noun? 1. It can directly follow articles (a, the) or quantity words (some, a lot, ten):
The dance was held on Saturday.
Some dancers are professionals.
2. It can be pluralized:
The dances were fast and lively. What are the types of Nouns? : What are the types of Nouns? Nouns are:
People or places Proper Nouns Ex. France, Madrid, Ayman, Sarah… 2. Things Common Nouns Ex. table, cat, man, star… 3. Ideas Abstract Nouns Ex. beauty, fear, courage, anger… Abstract Nouns : Abstract Nouns They are words that you cannot: HEAR SEE SMELL TOUCH TASTE A Noun is usually abstract if it ends in one of these suffixes: : A Noun is usually abstract if it ends in one of these suffixes: -tion dictation / realization / motion
-sion submission / decision
-ism patriotism / favoritism
-ity personality / reality / charity
-ment movement / refreshment / amazement
-ness loneliness / silliness / tiredness
-ance importance / clearance
-ence patience / existence
-ship friendship / dictatorship
-hood adulthood / childhood NOTE that… : NOTE that… The Suffix –er is usually:
added to a verb to indicate a person who does an activity: writer, worker, singer,etc...
(sometimes -or, as in actor, sailor, supervisor,...)
-er/-or are also used for things which do a particular job: tin-opener, projector,etc ... Fill in the blanks forming suitable abstract nouns from the words given in the brackets : Fill in the blanks forming suitable abstract nouns from the words given in the brackets 1. His ---------------- was made in haste. (decide)
2. The streets of Singapore are known for their ------ (clean)
3. The boy’s ----------------upset his mother. (lazy)
4. Switzerland is famous for its natural -------------. (beautiful)
5. You should be able to know the ----------------- between right and wrong. (differ)
6. Was World War I ----------------? (avoid)
7. Your explanation is not related to ----------------. (real)
8. We must encourage the national ----------------. (aware)
9. She collapsed because of ----------------. (hungry)
10. Liza prefers a precise --------- of the seats at dinner. (arrange) ANSWER KEY : ANSWER KEY DECISION
DIFFERENCE 6) AVOIDABLE
ARRANGEMENT Thank You : Thank You