Congregational ForumFall 2009 : Congregational ForumFall 2009 Multi-directional Communication is Key:
Leadership to the Congregation
Congregation to the Leadership
Congregation to Congregation
Leader to Leader
Congregation & Leadership to Staff
Staff to the Congregation
Church to the Community
Community to the Church
Organization – We all need to be on the Same Page Rules of the Game : Rules of the Game Ongoing Communication – The Forum needs to be information intensive, thought provoking, & input driven
We are encouraged to freely discuss the material presented. It’s ok to present alternative views – that is how we ideate and come to compromise
It is NOT ok voice an opinion about people Tims ChurchMaster Plan : Tims ChurchMaster Plan Vision:
Irresistible Life Changing It’s a Start : It’s a Start Substantial background work has already been done:
Preliminary Site & Building Plans
Short, Medium, & Long Range Goals
Conceptual & Mission Ideation
At this stage a Master Plan is fluid Assumptions : Assumptions A Master Plan is essential
Trends that have developed in society and are shaping people’s wants and needs will continue to evolve
We must grow in our faith and as a church
Evangelism, Mission & Ministry, and Spiritual Growth as individuals and as a congregation is what Christ called the church to do
We must be good stewards of those talents and abilities God gave us – He expects us to freely give of our time, talent and monetary resources – all that we have is His, not ours
Each member and attendee at Tims will be expected to participate in the life of the church beyond just Sunday Worship. Tims in the future will not be a spectator congregation – participation creates relationships, builds spiritual growth and allows us to perform God’s Mission What Will We Discuss? : Goals and Objectives for the Short, Medium, and Long Term:
Short Term – less than 1 year
Medium Term – 1 to 3 years
Long Term – 3 to 10 years
Jethro Model of Leadership
Maintenance and Repair
Site Plan – future campus
Children’s & Nursery
Ministry and Mission
Pastor What Will We Discuss? Short Range Goals & Objectives : Operations - General Goal #1: Expand and perfect communication within the congregation.
Objective: To provide effective and regular communication between the leadership and the congregation, solicit feedback and views, promote a dialog between congregational participants, and promote a culture of trust within the congregation and its leadership.
1. Congregational Forums 4 times/year focusing such items as planning & the Master Plan,
Stewardship, Ministry and Mission, Relationship Building, Finance, Community relations, etc.
2. Implement a comprehensive strategy for communication including web pages, newsletters,
minutes for ministry & mission, e-mails, “Informational blitzes”, mailings and phone.
3. Provide action and information summaries following each Session & congregational meeting and, to
inform the congregation of actions taken and solicit input.
4. Solicit input and feedback regularly from the congregation on the actions and direction of Session,
Leadership, Staff and the Pastor. Goal #2: Evaluate Goals and Objectives against measurable criteria.
Objective: To determine the value of Ministries and programs and recommend whether to continue their support and funding.
1. Establish measurable criteria by which Ministries and Programs are evaluated.
2. Create a Ministry Review Board made up of the 5 Jethro Model Directors to evaluate Ministries and
Programs using the established criteria to determine whether Ministries and Programs are meeting their
Goals and Objectives and recommend disposition of longevity and funding to Session.
3. Evaluate potential new Ministries and Programs and recommend to Session whether they fit the Vision
and Mission of the Church. Short Range Goals & Objectives Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Goal #3: Plan for and provide the resources necessary to minister to the church within and without.
Objective: Create culture of giving and Tithing that allows Tims Ministries to make a difference in the lives of people both in the church and in the community.
1. To challenge the congregation to take ownership of Jesus command to spread the Good News and minister to those in need - to make a difference in this world.
2. Year round stewardship. Stewardship education and acknowledgement are key factors to obtaining proper funding for God’s Mission for Tims. The congregation needs to think about God’s gifts, pray about their giving, be reminded, and be willing to support ministries year round – not just one Sunday or during one fall campaign.
3. Ministries that require funding must clearly demonstrate the ability to help someone in need, make a difference in someone’s life or foster spiritual growth or people will not support them. All of our resources must go toward our Vision and Mission. We must be good stewards of our funds, our time, and our talents and avoid duplications that take away resources but don’t provide the above. Our growth planning and implementation must promote our Vision, Mission and demonstrate the ability to satisfy the primary resource allocations above.
4. Stewardship is challenging. Challenge the congregation to take the 10 x 10 x 10
- $10 by 10% more by 10% Tithe
5. Remove maintenance and repairs from the annual budget and establish designated funds for payment. Operations - Stewardship Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Goal #4: Eliminate repair and maintenance issues.
Objective: To reduce the burden of repair and maintenance of facilities & prepare for needed medium range renovations.
1. Prepare a list of needed repairs and prioritize their completion based upon need & financial ability.
2. Identify maintenance of property and equipment and establish a maintenance schedule to reduce the cost of repairs in the future.
3. Identify outdated and inefficient equipment & prepare a replacement schedule that will increase efficiency in the future.
4. Remove repair and maintenance of property and equipment from the annual budget and establish special fund financing to accomplish those needs. Operations – Property and Facilities Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Operations - Finance Goal #5: Evaluate and Update Financial Policies and Procedures
Objective: To Provide stricter controls on spending and the budgetary process.
1. Place an immediate freeze on all non-essential spending.
2. Develop a purchase requisition form to be used for all purchases and spending over $50.00
3. Re-write the Financial Policies to provide more accountability over spending and budgets.
4. Begin the budget process in early August, providing Session with an asking budget by its Nov. meeting Short Range Goals & Objectives : Goal: Develop Musical Talents and Gifts.
Objective: To help people discover, develop and use their artistic talents and gifts to glorify God.
1. Continue vocal/choral growth by rehearsing with the choir each week and singing in worship.
2. Continue quality music and growth at Elevate with the band and vocalists, emulating worship for the congregation.
3. Create an instrumental program that helps people discover, develop and use their gifts and meets a need that has developed in our community due to budget cuts in Pasco County Schools and an elimination of band and strings in many schools.
4. Create an opportunity for children to learn to read music by re-instituting the hand bells and playing in worship services.
5. Create a Summer Fine Arts program that develops various talents through learning and presenting different artistic gifts.
6. Develop a youth band to play for worship at youth group, teaching students to grow as worship leaders.
Goal: Take a full inventory of our musical capabilities.
Objective: To improve the quality of our artistic resources by reviewing and assessing our needs.
1. Inventory our assets and make recommendations for improvements. Short Range Goals & Objectives Worship & Music Short Range Goals & Objectives : Goal: Continue personal growth of gifts and talents.
Objective: To become the best Music and Worship Leader I can be.
1. Attend trainings that help develop my gifts and talents.
Goal: Expand our Music Evangelism.
Objective: To reach out to the community with our gifts and talents and minister to them.
1. Take the choir out to sing 2-4 time a year.
2. Take the Elevate Band to play out 2-4 times a year.
3. Work with Lutz Elementary to grow the hand bell program, reaching out to students who do not have an opportunity at school. (Lutz has a hand bell program and only take about 16 students.)
4. Hold performances that help develop confidence of individuals to use their talents and gifts (through Summer Fine Arts Camps and band and orchestra performances as they develop).
5. Develop our relationships with other churches that continue gift and talent development through concerts & community (i.e. possible concert with Village Presbyterian choir in the spring). Short Range Goals & Objectives Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Goal #1: Provide accessible, dependable and secure childcare and Christian education fostering an atmosphere of trust, learning and love for Jesus Christ.
Objective: To organize, plan, build and maintain superior and secure learning and child care facilities for our children and youth.
1. Remodel and organize our Sunday school and nursery facilities to enable growth and learning in the most efficient and secure manner possible until a new Christian Education facility can be constructed.
2. Established policies and procedures that are clearly communicated to parents, teachers, and children Children’s Ministry Goal #2: Create a Bible-centered, learner-focused curriculum that involves children in an active process of learning and encourages their application of lessons.
Objective: To make learning about God and Jesus fun using a Bible Centered, coordinated curriculum.
1. Unified curricula from nursery through fifth grade to ensure coverage of Bible themes, continuity of teaching and learning styles, and coordination of programs.
2. Clear presentations of God’s plan of salvation at age-appropriate levels
3. Balance of worship, instruction, fellowship, and expression.
4. Church Bible Study Book Daily devotions written by members of the congregation Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Ministries - Youth Goal #1: Recruit and Grow more Youth Leaders.
Objective: To increase the number of trained Youth leaders to allow the Youth Ministry to grow numerically and spiritually.
1. Seek out and train potential Adult and Youth leaders building a “family” of trained and knowledgeable mentors.
2. Training for Youth Ministry leaders must include spiritual growth, patience, servant hood, safety, love, and Youth Leader responsibilities.
3. Bi-monthly discipleship small groups and retreats designed specifically for growing in the Word.
4. Confirmation classes. Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Goal #3: Direct, focused Ministry.
Objective: To provide direct teaching, contact, and relationship building with Youth and their parents.
1. Mimic Christ in His relational approach to teaching and spiritual growth.
2. Spend time as needed with students and parents outside of the church environment reinforcing the influence the church must have on Youth in their daily living. Goal #2: To make the Youth Ministry Irresistible and Life Changing.
Objective: Provide programs that are relevant to spiritual growth and are sensitive to the current youth learning culture.
1. Stay current, creative and inventive in our programming.
2. Create a comfortable environment for learning and fun using appropriate skits, music, readings, and current technology where possible.
3. Provide relevant and life changing curriculum to challenge students in their learning and growth.
4. Create a materials review board to evaluate new curriculum, readings, skits, music, etc. to identify acceptable materials for use. The board shall be comprised of the Youth Director, 2 Youth Parents and 2 Youth members. Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Ministries - Women Goal #1: Continue to Grow the Women’s Ministry through a variety of
Spiritual and Social Media.
Objective: Provide Life-changing opportunities for women to grow their faith.
1. Offer a variety of organized studies in Faith and the Bible.
2. Events – Fall retreat & Spring Tea
3. Conference Opportunities:
Deeper Still – Orlando – Sept. 18-19
Women of Faith – Tampa – August, 2010
4. Leadership Development
Super Saturday – August 22
Women’s Leadership Conference – 2010
Hillsborough House of Hope
A Woman’s Place Short Range Goals & Objectives : Short Range Goals & Objectives Current/Traditional Model of Leadership Goal #1: Adapt the Jethro Model of Organization & Implement
Objective: To Streamline how Tims does Ministry
1. Appoint an action group to adapt the Jethro Model and recommend implementation to Session for approval. Pastor Short Range Goals & Objectives : Frees the Pastor from constantly meeting with Ministry Leaders to solve problems
Frees the Session from spending time in committee meetings to decide how to manage Ministries
Allows the congregation to do ministry instead of meeting to decide how to do ministry Pastor leads and Oversees Directors – Reports to & is evaluated by Session
Directors Oversee Ministries & Operations – Report to Pastor & are Evaluated by Session
Ministries do Ministry in Focused Groups – Report to Directors & Pastor & are Evaluated by Session
Pastor and Session spend their time leading the Congregation in Ministry & Spiritual Growth Jethro Model of Leadership Organization Short Range Goals & Objectives Short Range Goals & Objectives : Goal #2: Create and implement a healthy system of leadership at Tims.
Objective: Mentor and train enough quality leaders to allow Tims to move toward our medium and long range goals.
1. Implement and utilize the Jethro Model style of leadership
2. Transition the Session from being the "managers" of ministry to being spiritual leaders
Goal #3: Have 300+ attendees on Sunday morning & 10 new believers each year.
Objective: Make an immediate and lasting difference in peoples the lives .
1. Expand worship facilities to respond to attendance growth at Elevate.
2. Work with Property and Elevate to build new stage, which would allow for 70-90 more attendees.
3. Celebrate Traditional worship to honor the past and its worship style.
Goal #4: Provide intentional, incremental steps to promote spiritual growth of worship and small growth attendees
Objective: Assimilate new and prospective attendees into the life of Tims
1. Implement "Starting Point", a 10 week conversational small group for new attendees.
2. Implement "NEXT", a 30 min gathering following worship on Sunday morning to help newcomers
learn about existing small groups, ministries, and places to serve at Tims. "NEXT" will also be the
time we would gather more information about them, including their gifts and passions for serving. Short Range Goals & Objectives Short Range Goals & Objectives : Goal #5: Strengthen and expand small group ministry
1. Work with Funky Couples to birth four new small groups this year
2. Begin to mentor and grow small group leaders to enable expansion of the Small Group Ministry in the future.
Goal #6: Improve sermon delivery, content, and creativity.
Objective: Improve the worship experience making it more appealing to the unchurched and more theological and Biblical to the traditional attendee.
1. Spend 4 hours more uninterrupted prep time each week on sermon
2. Provide more contextual and Biblical reference and basis to the sermon content and delivery.
3. Provide support for year round stewardship.
4. Strive to increase teaching in worship with an emphasis on life application and spiritual growth.
Goal #7: Create a sustainable worship schedule on Sunday that aligns with our VISION Objective: Evaluate worship and bring our worship schedule and offerings in line with our Vision.
1. Evaluate our 8:15am, 9:30am, and 11:00am worship services using attendance, purpose, and sideways
energy as benchmarks for evaluation. Is the service Irresistible to seekers? Life-changing for believers?
2. Evaluate current children's, student, & adult ministry opportunities in light of this sustainable schedule.
Goal #8: To develop our pastoral care ministry to the sick, homebound, and hospitalized.
Objective: Evaluate our leadership for pastoral care and realign to provide best care possible
1. Develop leadership within deacons and Stephen ministers
2. Turn over pastoral care responsibilities to trained pastoral care leaders except where the Pastor is
specifically requested. Short Range Goals & Objectives Short Range Goals & Objectives : Develop a comprehensive data base of members and attendees identifying spiritual gifts, occupations, hobbies and interests.
Develop ministries that will involve 100% of the congregation in at least one other activity outside of the worship experience.
Develop a variety of well trained and experienced Church, Ministry and Christian Education leaders to meet the demands of growth and society.
Encourage creativity and innovation in the Tims Worship experience while maintaining a strong sense of traditional worship values and Biblical foundations.
Provide a variety of opportunities for Ministry and growth. Health Team Recommendations Short Range Goals & Objectives Medium Range Goals & Objectives1-3 years : Operations - General Goal #1: Expand and perfect communication within the congregation.
Objective: To provide effective and regular communication between the leadership and the congregation, solicit feedback and views, promote a dialog between congregational participants, and promote a culture of trust within the congregation and its leadership. Medium Range Goals & Objectives1-3 years Goal #2: Renovate/replace the frontage signage on Sunset Lane.
Objective: Continue to grow our evangelism to the community.
1. Research sign ordinances and building codes for proper construction.
2. Create an appealing sign design that allows large scale advertising and facility recognition.
3. Where possible, use talent from within the church to construct Operations – Property & Facilities Goal #3: Renovate the existing worship/Leo Erny/Memorial Garden to create a functional entry/foyer.
Objective: Facilitate worship and event entry, security, fellowship and visitor welcome.
1. Develop a building plan to maximize the use of the current structures and minimize the cost.
2. Begin, ASAP, to provide a “God Provides” Fund to fund the renovations. Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Medium Range Goals & Objectives Goal #4: Grounds Overhaul.
Objective: Create an appealing campus for all attendees and continue to grow our evangelism to the community providing an exceptional worship and spiritual experience.
1. Clean up all debris on campus. Remove all dead vegetation. Paint where needed.
2. Complete any repairs and maintenance not completed in the short term plan.
3. Upgrade the front signage Operations – Stewardship & Finance Goal #5: Plan for and provide the resources necessary to minister to the church
within and without.
Objective: Create culture of giving and Tithing that allows Tims Ministries to make a difference in
the lives of people both in the church and in the community. Operations – Master Plan Goal #7: Master Plan Planning.
Objective: Begin to Solidify the Master Plan.
1. Review preliminary plans, gather information, evaluate proposals and using feedback form the congregation, begin to finalize Goals, Objectives and the master site plan. Goal #6: Plan for and provide the resources necessary to minister to the church .
Objective: Continue cultivating a culture of giving and Tithing that allows Tims to make a difference in the lives of people in the church and community. Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Medium Range Goals & Objectives Goal #1: Plan and build a new Christian Education facility utilizing the best special configuration to create a culture of learning, love and respect for God and security for the children entrusted to us. (see short range goals).
Objective: To organize, plan, build and maintain superior and secure learning and child care facilities for our children and youth. Ministries - Children Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Medium Range Goals & Objectives Ministries - Youth Goal #1: Plant and Branch the Youth in Evangelism.
Objective: To mobilize our Youth to be involved in activities that teach them the importance of following Christ’s call for the Evangelism, Outreach and Mission.
1. Invite guest speakers to energize Youth about Evangelism and Mission.
2. Plan fun and unique events to be irresistible to Youth and to those students who are unchurched.
3. Seek out and invite Christian Bands who will entertain and attract students but also have a message of Mission for our Youth. Goal #2: Root our Youth in Spiritual Growth.
Objective: To provide opportunities for Biblical teaching and Spiritual Growth.
1. Invite guest speakers to energize Youth about Evangelism and Mission.
2. Bible study through small group activities.
3. Personal Witness of leaders and students about their faith.
4. Create a culture of Christian fellowship that will encourage students to grow their faith in a peer group setting. Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Pastor Medium Range Goals & Objectives Goal #1: Have 400+ attendees on Sunday morning & 30 new believers each year
Objective: Continue to grow our evangelism to the community.
1. Create a second ELEVATE-type service at 11:00am in Leo Erny utilizing live streaming sermon
video or recorded video.
2. Continue to evaluate and improve the Traditional Service.
Goal #2: Have 50% of Tims attendees involved in small group ministry.
Objective: Expand the scope and offering of small group ministry.
1. Identify, recruit, train small group ministry leaders within the church.
2. Connect "Starting Point" and "Next" to flow seamlessly into small group ministry, so that every new attendee has an opportunity to connect.
3. Develop a "holistic" small group culture, where each small group does life together (fellowship, Bible study, and outreach to the community)
Goal #3: Have 50% of Tims attendees involved in serving ministry.
Objective: Expand the scope and reach of our Ministries within the Vision of Tims to encourage as many attendees to participate as possible.
1. Identify, recruit and train a VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR to assimilate new & current attendees into the serving ministry of the church and into life relationships and service to Christ.
2. Connect "Starting Point" and "Next" to flow seamlessly into the serving ministry of the church, so that every attendee has an opportunity to serve. Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Goal #4: Expand Tims pastoral care ministry.
Objective: Provide a wider range of pastoral care using trained congregational Ministers directed by a staff Minister.
1. Add a staff person, possibly retired minister to assist in leading this ministry
Goal #5: Provide adequate space for children's ministry on Sunday morning and future growth
Objective: Celebrate our Children & Youth as the Church’s future.
1. To launch Phase 1 of Master Plan, and launch a capital campaign to build a Christian Ed building Medium Range Goals & Objectives Medium Range Goals & Objectives : Medium Range Goals & Objectives Develop a variety of well trained and experienced Church, Ministry and Christian Education leaders to meet the demands of growth and society.
Develop a comprehensive data base of members and attendees identifying spiritual gifts, occupations, hobbies and interests.
Develop ministries that will involve 100% of the congregation in at least one other activity outside of the worship experience.
Evaluate Goals and Objectives against measurable criteria.
Train the congregation how to invite and encourage the congregation to actively participate in inviting others to worship, small groups, and events.
Recognizing the Great Commission as the primary reason for the existence of the Christian Church, develop communication between the congregation and the community to enable Tims to actively spread the Good News of Jesus Christ. Health Team Recommendations Long Range Goals & Objectives3-10 years : Long Range Goals & Objectives3-10 years Goal #1: Expand and perfect communication within the congregation.
Objective: Provide effective and regular communication between the leadership and the congregation, solicit feedback and views, promote a dialog between congregational participants, and promote a culture of trust within the congregation and its leadership. Operations - General Operations – Stewardship & Finance Goal #3: Plan for and provide the resources necessary to minister to the church .
Objective: Continue cultivating a culture of giving and Tithing that allows Tims to make a difference in the lives of people in the church and community. Goal #2: Evaluate Goals and Objectives against measurable criteria.
Objective: To determine the value of Ministries and programs and recommend whether to continue their support and funding. Long Range Goals & Objectives : Long Range Goals & Objectives Operations – Property, Facilities, and Finance Goal #4: Finalize the Long Range Building Plan and Capital Campaign for funding.
Objective: To make final preparations for the Building and Campus renovation and complete the current Master Plan.
1. Elect Congregational Building Review, and Capital Campaign teams.
2. Commission architectural and site plans and obtain congregational approval.
3. Establish minimum Building Fund Values necessary for construction.
4. Secure building loan, if necessary.
5. Complete Master Plan. Goal #5: Begin planning for a new Master Plan.
Objective: To make preparations for a new Master Plan.
1. Begin the planning process all over again and plan for the future. Slide 31: That’s Our Master Planas we know it today…… Now it’s time for the last puzzle piece - your input. Slide 32: When we communicate, we all win!