Unit 9 : At home and Away : Unit 9 : At home and Away A holiday in Nha Trang Cham Temples Tri Nguyen aquarium Souvernirs Nha Trang Beach Seafood http://d.violet.vn/uploads/resources/277/AVSEQ21.swf A.1 Syllabus /'siləbəs/ Number the sentences.
1. Liz went to Nha Trang
2. Liz visited Tri Nguyen Aquarium.
3. Liz bought souvernirs.
4. Liz returned to Ha Noi.
5. Liz talked to Ba about her vacation. The Simple Past Tense : The Simple Past Tense YouTube – The Simple Past – Yes/No question (4’26’’)
YouTube – Form Irregular
Irregular Verb Flashcards 1 ***
English for All – Beginners – The simple past
Hoctienganh.biz/by_video/ The Present Progressive & Siple Past Tense
http://library.smartcom.vn/ Game Irregular Verb
English Conversation - Simple Past (Regular verb)
http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/pronunciation_-ed_endings Bài tập *****
http://moon.vn/English/Video/The simple past
http://www.youtube.com/Simple Past *****
http://www.eflnet.com/end - ed *****
http://tulieu.violet.vn/Past simple *****
http://classroom.re.kr/uploadfile/content/content11/second04/data05/1/up125.htm (Listen) THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE : THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE I. Using: http://www.past-simple.com
- The simple past tense is used to talk about things that started and finished in the past. The past tense is the same for all persons.
I walked to the shop yesterday. He walked to the shop yesterday. They walked to the shop yesterday.
- We use the Simple Past to describe a series of actions in the past.
First I got up, then I had breakfast.
- The action in the Simple Past interrupted the action in the Past Progressive (the one which was in progress).
- They were playing cards when the telephone rang.
The verb TO BE is the only past tense verb that changes according to person: I/he/she/it was You/we/ they were
Subject affirmative negative interrogative Short forms
I, he, she, it I was there last Friday. I was not there … . Was I there … ? was not wasn’t
You, we, they We were at home. We were not at … . Were we at … ? were not weren’t
I,you,he,she,it,we,they They played football. They did not play… . Did they play … ? did not didn’t
He went shopping. He did not go shopping. Did he go shopping?
III. Signal words: yesterday last (week, month…) (a day, a week, …) ago in ( 2007, January …)
IV. Exceptions in spelling:
1) consonant after short, stressed vowel at the end of the word - double the consonant:stóp - stopped but bénefit – benefited except: h,w,x,y slow – slowed fix - fixed stay – stayed
2) one -e or – ee at the end the word – add only –d: love – loved agree - agreed
3) verbs ending in “-y”
verbs ending in “y” preceded by a vowel ( a,e,i,o,u) -- add -ed: play - played
verbs ending in “y” preceded by a consonant – change “y” to “i” then add -ed: hurry – hurried
4) Irregular verbs: 2nd column of the table of the irregular verbs - Learn by heart: go – went have – had do – did
V. Pronunciation of the ending “ - ed”:
/ t / / d / / id /
[p, k, f, ʃ, ʧ, s, θ] [b, g, v, ʒ, ʤ, z, ð, l, m, n] or a vowel [ t , d ]
stopped, looked, brushed , watched changed, cleaned visited, decided
sliced, roofed Regular V + ED or V2 (Past simple / Preterit) TTGS HOA THỌ
145 Đỗ Bí, Phú Thạnh, Tân Phú
Web: hoatho.notlong.com Future Past Past (Now) Slide 4: PAST SIMPLE TENSE REGULAR VERBS
+ + V ed / d
- + didn’t + V
? (Wh) Did + + V? IRREGULAR VERBS
+ + II column
- + didn’t + I column
? (Wh) Did + + I column? ADVERBS
►two days ago
►when I was younger Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Simple Tense:
1. We ___________ (HAVE) a lot of fun at your
birthday party yesterday.
2. My brother and I ___________ (FINISH) our homework a few minutes ago.
3. Susan ___________ (LIKE) skating when she was a girl.
4. Joe ___________ (BREAK) his leg three weeks ago.
5. I ___________ (MEET) my best friend George in 2005.
6. My parents ___________ (GO) to the theatre yesterday evening.
7. He ___________ (WATCH) a very scary horror film last night.
8. Emma ___________ (NOT GO) to school when she was ill.
9. Where ___________ you ___________ (LEAVE) your jacket?
10. ___________ you ___________ (HATE) broccoli when you were a child?
11. Peter ___________ (READ) a very interesting book yesterday.
12. Mum ___________ (MAKE) a big chocolate cake a few hours ago.
13. We ___________ (PLAY) beach volleyball when we were at the seaside.
14. He ___________ (NOT LISTEN) to music after school yesterday.
15. I ___________ (GET) lots of good marks last month.
16. ___________ they ___________ (VISIT) their grandparents last summer?
17. He was very thirsty. He ___________ (DRINK) two glasses of water.
18. Sarah ___________ (NOT ENJOY) her piano lessons when she was seven.
19. Where ___________ your father ___________ (WORK) in 1985?
20. They ___________ (SEE) lots of animals in the zoo yesterday. I made this sandwich two days ago. We finished this exercise a few seconds ago. Slide 5: Past Future What is the difference between regular verbs and irregular verbs? : What is the difference between regular verbs and irregular verbs? One good way to learn irregular verbs is to try sorting them into groups, as above.
1. Some verbs can be both regular and irregular, for example:
learn, learned, learned learn, learnt, learnt
2. Some verbs change their meaning depending on whether they are regular or irregular, for example "to hang": regular hang, hanged, hanged - to kill or die, by dropping with a rope around the neck. Irregular hang, hung, hung - to fix something (for example, a picture) at the top so that the lower part is free.
3. The present tense of some regular verbs is the same as the past tense of some irregular verbs: regular - found, founded, founded irregular - find, found, found EXERCISE : EXERCISE 1. Julia (go) to the disco last night . 2. We (hate) this president last year. 3. Life in Pompeii (end) many years ago. 4. Anna (do) her homework last night. 5. I (visit) the British Museum in London last year. 6. Astrid (play) football with her friend yesterday. 7. Julia (leave) for Australia five years ago. 8. I (sing) with my sister yesterday at 8.00 pm. 9. They (speak) with the police officer last night. 10. He (buy) a new car yesterday. 11. I (read) the newspaper this morning. 12. I (have) a good mark in my exam. 13. Agatha Christie (write) 'The man in the brown suit ' in 1936. 14. She (watch) a movie on TV last night. 15. I (eat) an icecream this morning. 16. My mother (drink) fruit-juice this evening. 17. There (be) black clouds over the volcano. 18. The pupils (answer) the difficult question last week. 19. We (take) the bus. The trip was not very long. 20. It was the first time, I (discover) such a beautiful town ! 21. My little sister (be) in Paradise ! 22. She (meet) Mickey and Minnie. 23. After the lunch, we (admire) a magnificent show on ice. 24. At 7:30 pm we (come) back to our hotel. 25. I (enjoy) my stay in Paris ! Slide 8: Tri Nguyen Aquarium octopus starfish fish flowers Slide 9: A.2 Questions:
a. Who went to the aquarium with Liz? Her parents went to the aquarium with Liz.b. What did the Robinsons see there? They saw sharks, dolphins, turtles and many different kinds of fish.c. What did they buy in the souvenir shop? They bought a cap and a poster in the souvenir shop.d. Did Liz like the cap? Which sentence tells you this? Yes, she did. “Liz wore the cap all day.” e. Do Mr. and Mrs. Robinson like to eat seafood? How do you know? Yes, they do. They ate fish and crab.
f. Why did Liz eat noodles for lunch?
Because she remembered the beautiful fish in the aquarium. Slide 10: Now tell the story of Liz’s trip to Tri Nguyen Aquarium The Robinson family went to the aquarium. They saw sharks, dolphins, turtles and many different types of fish. There was a souvernir shop near the exit of the aquarium. Mr.Robinson bought Liz a cap with a picture of a dolphin on it.
Mrs.Robinson bought a poster. After their visit to the aquarium, the Robinsons went to a food stall. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson ate fish and crab. Liz ate noodles. Slide 11: Now tell the story of Liz’s trip to Tri Nguyen Aquarium. a) The Robinson family went to the aquarium. b) They saw sharks, dolphins, turtles and many colorful fish. c) They came to a souvenir shop near the exit of the aquarium. d) Mr. Robinson bought Liz a cap with a picture of a dolphin on it and Mrs. Robinson bought a poaster. e) The Robinson had their lunch at a food stall. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson ate fish and crab. Liz ate noodles. Listen. Write the letter of the sentences you hear. : Listen. Write the letter of the sentences you hear. Pg.89 The Robinsons had a great holiday in Nha Trang. Unfortunately, the holiday soon ended and it was time to return home. They took a bus back to Ha Noi. Liz was excited as the bus drove through the countryside. She saw rice paddies for the first time. Everything looked calm and peaceful. At four o’clock, the bus stopped at a small roadside restaurant for ten minutes. Mr. Robinson was asleep, so Mrs. Robinson bought some peanuts and ice-cream for Liz. The bus arrived in Ha Noi at about 7 pm. b) The Robinsons returned to Ha Noi by bus.
d) This was the first time Liz saw the paddies.
e) They stopped at the restaurant for a short time.
h) Mrs.Robinson bought some food for Liz.
j) They arrived home in the evening. A.3 Slide 13: A.4 a) Liz lived a long way from Ba.
b) Liz learned Vietnamese in the USA.
c) Liz collects stamps.
d) Liz’s aunt lives in Viet Nam.
e) The Robinsons moved to Ho Chi Minh City.
f) The Robinsons moved. Now Ba is happy.
g) Ba is never going to see Liz again. next door to Viet Nam. Ba New York. the other side of HN. sad. Ba will see Liz next week. Now make these sentences true. Slide 14: A.5 walk to school go to the park play soccer I (Present) …… every day.
I (Present Progressive) …… today.
I (Present) …… every day.
I (Past) …… yesterday. Slide 15: Listen: A4 (Pg.89,90) + A5 (Pg90) + B3 (Pg93) B.3 Mrs.Mai Hoa learned how to use a sewing machine a cushion made a skirt tried it on but it didn’t fit has a useful new hobby wears the things she makes material walk to school go to the park play soccer A5 every day
yesterday A4 talk with … about …
a good friend of mine Liz Robinson Mr. Robinson I am from the USA. arrive in …
work at …
an English …
rent an …
next door to … Last week, the Robinsons moved to … Ba’s diary April 12 like playing and talking …in …
Liz helps me … my stamp collection.
She always … me the stamps … the letters. apartment B. Neighbors : B. Neighbors http://d.violet.vn/uploads/resources/277/AVSEQ22.swf B.1 & 2 a) What does Hoa’s aunt do?
- She’s a hairdresser.
b) What does Mrs.Mai do?
- She’s a dressmaker. a) Did Hoa buy the dress? No, she didn’t.
b) Did her aunt make Hoa’s dress? No, she didn’t.
c) Did her aunt cut Hoa’s hair? Yes, she did. Slide 17: B.3 Slide 18: Hoa ……….……her neighbor make her dress.
First, she ………….some material.
Then, she…………..the dress out.
Next, she …………a sewing machine to sew a skirt.
Hoa …………..that sewing……..a useful hobby.
She ………..…a cushion and a dress.
The cushion….…..fine,but the dress………….
Then, her neighbor…..……..her,so finally it…………her. watch watched buy bought cut cut use used decide be decided was make made be was wasn’t. help fit helped fitted Put the verbs in the simple past tense. B.4 The End