Female foeticide : Female foeticide Dr.Sujnanendra Mishra, MD PATNAGARH Slide 2: Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques includes
Amniocentesis and Taking samples of amniotic fluid, embryo, blood or any tissue or fluid of pregnant women after conception, female feticide is Aborting a female fetus after sex determination test. FACTORS that FAVOUR….. : FACTORS that FAVOUR….. Evil of Dowry Social Security Religion Small Child Norm URBAN Living EDUCATIONAL STATUS SOCIETY Evil of Dowry : Evil of Dowry The practice of dowry ,a nationwide problem.
Now found in communities and castes in which it had never been the custom.
Inherited from upper caste practices. In majority of cases,
Laws failed to show any impact on the practice of dowry. It is estimated that a dowry death occurs in India every 93 minutes. Evil of Dowry…….. : Evil of Dowry…….. In marriage the groom demanded that the bride’s father also provide for his daughter’s maintenance, since she was now a financial ‘burden’ on him. And the system of dowry started. So, a girl became a potential financial drain on man
As a matter of prestige too, more money and material goods asked in dowry.
The girl was no longer desired. Slide 6: In order to continue possessing ones property, even after death, the need of an heir, a son, became necessary . The birth of a son is regarded as essential in Hinduism and many prayers and lavish offerings are made in temples in the hope of having a male child. Social Security: Son as Social Security for old age Religion helps ?……. : Religion helps ?……. The Ramayana and the Manusmriti (the Laws of Manu) represent the ideal woman as obedient and submissive, and advocates care of a male: first father, then husband, then son. Islam permits polygamy and gives women fewer rights than men. Shame Small Child Norm : Small Child Norm Faced with social burdens rarely any one prefers to have more children.
One or two is the norm of the day .
For continuance of ones property, and gene, the need of an heir, a son, becomes necessary.
Amniocentesis and sonography, widely available,
Termination of pregnancy is simple and accessible.
Female foeticide has become quite easy.
Couple adopts evil ‘It is better to spend Rs500 now than Rs5,00000 (in dowry) later’ Slide 9: The world population has a sex ratio of 990 females per 1000 males
India has one of the lowest sex ratios in the world WikiProject India Maps Slide 10: Source: Census of India, 2001. Slide 11: RURAL VS URBAN CHILD SEX ratio ?? Closer to facility Slide 12: 909 894 885 867 876 Slide 13: CHILD SEX RATIO IN SC /ST. POPULATION Slide 14: Top Ten Districts (Better Sex Ratio) 2001. Slide 16: Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) FEMALE FOETICIDE & INDIANS LIVING ABROAD: : FEMALE FOETICIDE & INDIANS LIVING ABROAD: Indians in other countries are going for sex selective abortions is evident by the fact that sex ratio at birth among the Indian community in New Jersey is as bad as in Punjab and Haryana.
A report in the British Newspaper, 'observer', hand come up with evidence that British Asian women go to India to abort their baby girls. The British Law does not allow parents to choose sex of their babies except to avoid certain gender linked diseases. This forces many to go abroad. Abortion on the ground of sex is not allowed under the Abortion Act of 1967 in the UK. But sex can be disclosed by patients if they ask during ultrasound. Society today…….. : Society today…….. It speaks of a whole Society that has gone corrupt, desiring destruction of half its population, Are we secular, social, and human?.In Modern India a woman is regarded as a commodity and marriage has become more of a business alliance than a sacred bond between two souls. The Girl Child …….. : The Girl Child …….. • 1 out of every 3 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday
• One-third of these deaths take place at birth
• Every sixth girl child’s death is due to gender discrimination
• Females are victimised far more than males during childhood
• 1 out of every 10 women reported some kind of child sexual abuse during childhood, chiefly by known persons Slide 20: • 1 out of 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 4
• 19% are abused between the ages of 4 and 8
• 28% are abused between the ages of 8 and 12
• 35% are abused between the ages of 12 and 16
• 1 out of 6 girls will not live to see their 12th birthday
• 3 lakh more girls than boys die every year
• Female mortality exceeds male mortality in 224 out of 402 districts in India Slide 21: • Death rate among girls below the age of 4 years is higher than that of boys. Even if she escapes infanticide or foeticide, a girl child is less likely to receive immunisation,
nutrition or medical treatment compared to a male child
• 53% of girls in the age group of 5 to 9 years are illiterate
• Every year 27,06,000 children under 5 years die in India. And the deaths of girl children are higher than those of male children. Source: www.cry.org Slide 22: Women Achievers ????? MANY MORE ELIMINATED BEFORE THEY COULD ………. Slide 23: ‘Where women are honored
there Gods are pleased;
But where they are not honored
no sacred rite yields rewards.’
Laws of Manu