Unified Wind-Tidal Probe

Views:
 
     
 

Presentation Description

No description available.

Comments

Presentation Transcript

UNIFIED TIDAL-WIND ENERGY PROJECT:

UNIFIED TIDAL-WIND ENERGY PROJECT The Retroskywalkers… From Infinity to Beyond Kulkeerty Singh (B.Tech, MAE, IInd Sem) Harshit Agarwal (B.Tech, MAE, IInd Sem) Aman Bansal (B.Tech, MAE, IInd Sem) SCiNNOVATION’11

INTRODUCTION:

INTRODUCTION In I987, the Central Electricity Authority (Govt.) documented a techno-economic feasibility report for a 900 MW tidal power plant, but the project couldn’t be undertaken due to several issues associated with this energy. Has anyone thought why? Has ever any alternative been found? Any solutions?

LIMITATONS OF TIDAL ENERGY:

LIMITATONS OF TIDAL ENERGY Requirement of a reservoir so that the potential energy of water which can be effectively converted to produce the tides. The only new problem is efficiency is just 80% while the rest 20% is lost. The cost of a complete tidal plant is 1.2 billion. While tidal energy can be utilised at a cycle of 6 hours only when a tide speeds up or slows down.

Slide 4:

The tides are again lopsided & irregular, thus are A cheap & strong conversion device with fully salt resistant. Location of a plant is at the seas somewhere at 4-5 kms away which stops fish migration to some extent & well the fishermen would have to suffer some losses.

ROLE OF WIND ENERGY:

ROLE OF WIND ENERGY The most beneficial part of wind energy is that any increase in wind speed increases the energy output by the cubic power & thus the more wind we obtain the more will be the energy output.

Slide 6:

All are aware of the fact that wind is the prominent factor for all the huge ripples or oceanic waves other than lunar pull or seismic activities. A wind turbine located over a high pillar vertically above the tidal probe will be quite the effective solution for the situation.

Slide 7:

This will greatly serves our purpose & as well solves the problem of having tides after 6 hours will be sorted out to maximum extent as the wind flowing at the coastal regions will contribute largely to provide a steady flowing energy to the power plant & thus losses from this form of energy will be reduced to such a great extent that several such projects can be started at the same time. Such dynamic wind-tidal probes can be thus created to utilise this vital form of energy to utmost extent.

Slide 8:

This clearly justifies production of energy using a 24m high tower with a 4- bladed rotor which can double up as a tidal energy harvester thus preventing the subsequent losses & even supporting the system. A long sequence of such conglomerations about 4-5 kms away from the shore would help in providing us with quite a handsome quantity of energy.

EXPECTED WIND SPEEDS:

EXPECTED WIND SPEEDS Start –Up Speed -> This is the minimum speed at which the rotor & blade assembly begins to rotate. Cut-in Speed -> This is the minimum wind speed at which usable power output is obtained from the turbine. Required wind speed 11-16 kmph Rated- Speed -> This is the minimum speed at which wind turbine provides us with designated rated power. For example:- For generating 10 kW a speed of 30-40 kmph is required. Cut-off speed -> The max wind speed at which the turbine has to be shut down for safety measures using automated brakes. It’s around 70-125 kmph

BENEFITS IN VIEW OF INDIA:

BENEFITS IN VIEW OF INDIA The Gulf Of Cambay, Rann Of Kutch & the Sunderbans in the Bay Of Bengal provide the luxury of wind farms nearby water, but since we can rejuvenate the 900 MW tidal project now by overcoming the losses using the unified form then definitely the 30-40 kmph wind observed nearly throughout the year in these regions can easily be …

Slide 11:

…harnessed for meeting energy requirements. Even the cyclonic winds & gales & storms observed at regular intervals throughout the monsoon year (Thanks to India’s vivid climate & huge coastline of over 4000 kms ). Thus in a way even the strongest of storms & tornadoes like the one in Chennai in 2003 with a record 112 kmph will be in a way adding up in a way to meeting up the energy requirements.

PROPOSED MODEL FOR THE IDEA:

PROPOSED MODEL FOR THE IDEA

LIMITATIONS:

LIMITATIONS Prohibits fish migration & reduces fishing activities. Salt-resistant structure proves to be a bit costly. Some dry windless months might be present in the year which won’t support the project.

RESULT & SUMMARY:

RESULT & SUMMARY A large scale & effective way for rejuvenating Tidal Energy projects in India is been suggested by combining it with the Wind turbines to collectively support each other. They would fill up the limitations of each other & would prove to be beneficiary for government. Subsequently, energy requirements would be met.

Slide 15:

THANK YOU…