logging in or signing up Mumbai aSGuest98324 Download Post to : URL : Related Presentations : Share Add to Flag Embed Email Send to Blogs and Networks Add to Channel Uploaded from authorPOINT lite Insert YouTube videos in PowerPont slides with aS Desktop Copy embed code: Embed: Flash iPad Copy Does not support media & animations WordPress Embed Customize Embed URL: Copy Thumbnail: Copy The presentation is successfully added In Your Favorites. Views: 228 Category: Travel/ Places.. License: All Rights Reserved Like it (1) Dislike it (0) Added: May 16, 2011 This Presentation is Public Favorites: 0 Presentation Description No description available. Comments Posting comment... Premium member Presentation Transcript Slide 1: HISTORY PROJECT BY-SAMIKSHA BHAIPHLAWAT JANKI DEVI PUBLIC SCHOOLSlide 2: HISTORY OF MUMBAIMUMBAI IN ANCIENT TIMES: MUMBAI IN ANCIENT TIMES EARLIER IT CONSISTED OF MAINLY SEVEN ISLANDS CALLED: COLABA MAZAGAON OLD WOMAN’S ISLAND WADALA MAHIM PAREL MATUNGA-SIONMUMBAI UNDER PORTUGUESE: MUMBAI UNDER PORTUGUESE IN 1534 PORTUGUESE who ALREADY POSSESSED MANY IMPORTANT TRADING CENTRES ON THE WESTERN COST SUCH AS PANJIM, DAMAN AND DIU TOOK MUMBAI BY FORCE OF ARMS FROM MOHAMMEDANS . HERE THEY NAMED THEIR NEW POSSESSION AS ‘BOM BAIA’ WHICH IN PORTUGUESE MEANS ‘GOOD WAY ’.CHANGES UNDER PORTUGUESE : CHANGES UNDER PORTUGUESE With the Portuguese power in Mumbai, numerous churches came into existence. However, only one church with Portuguese-style portico remains – the St. Andrew's church at Bandra. Apart from churches, Portuguese also showcased their possession by building number of forts at Sion, Bandra, Mahim and Bassein.MUMBAI IN BRITISH HANDS: MUMBAI IN BRITISH HANDS After hundred and twenty eight years of magnificent rule the island was given to the English King Charles II in the form of dowry on his marriage to Portuguese Princess Catherine de Braganza in 1662. However, it was in 1665 all the seven islands of Mumbai came under the Britishers. Later in 1668, British government handed over the land to East India Company for an annual rent of 10 pounds .BRITISH ADMINISTRATION: BRITISH ADMINISTRATION The Company, which was operating from Surat, was in search for another deeper water port so that larger vessels could dock, and found the islands of Bombay suitable for development. The shifting of the East India Company's headquarters to Bombay in 1687 led to the eclipse of Surat as a principal trading center. BOMBAY: BOMBAY The British corrupted the Portuguese name "Bom Baia" to "Bombay". The Kolis used to call the islands "Mumba" after Mumbadevi, the Hindu deity to whom a temple is dedicated at Babulnath near Chowpatty's sandy beaches.Slide 9: Sir George Oxenden became the first British Governor of the islands, and was succeeded later by Mr. Gerald Aungier who made Bombay more populous by attracting Gujerati traders, Parsi ship-builders, and Muslim and Hindu manufacturers from the mainland. He fortified defenses by constructing the Bombay Castle (the Fort, since then vanished except for a small portion of the wall) and provided stability by constituting courts of law.NEW LOOK: NEW LOOK Between 1822 and 1838, cattle from the congested fort area used to graze freely at the Camp Maidan (now called Azad Maidan), an open ground opposite the Victoria Terminus. In 1838, the British rulers introduced a 'grazing fee' which several cattle-owners could not afford. Therefore, Sir Jamshedji Jeejeebhoy spent Rs. 20,000 from his own purse for purchasing some grasslands near the seafront at Thakurdwar and saw that the starving cattle grazed without a fee in that area. In time the area became to be known as "Charni" meaning grazing. When a railway station on the BB&CI railway was constructed there it was called Charni Road.Slide 11: The Zoroastrian Towers of Silence on Malabar hill were built by Seth Modi Hirji Vachha in 1672 . The first fire-temple was also built in the same year by Seth Vachha opposite his residence at Modikhana within the British fort. The Hornby Vellard was completed in 1784, during the Governorship of Mr. HornbyCONSTRUCTION IN 19TH: CONSTRUCTION IN 19TH The later half of the 19th century was also to see a feverish construction of buildings in Bombay, many of which such as, the Victoria Terminus, the General Post Office, Municipal Corporation, the Prince of Wales Museum, Rajabai Tower and Bombay University, Elphinstone College and the Cawasji Jehangir Hall, the Crawford Market, the Old Secretariat (Old Customs House) and the Public Works Department (PWD) Building, still stand today as major landmarks.Slide 13: The Princess Dock was built in the year 1885 and the Victoria Dock and the Merewether Dry Docks in 1891. Alexandra Dock was completed in 1914.GATEWAY OF INDIA: GATEWAY OF INDIA The Gateway of India was built to commemorate the visit of king George V and Queen Mary for the Darbar at MUMBAI in 1911 BSE: BSE In January 1899, the Brokers' Hall was inaugurated by James M. MaClean, M.P. After the First World War the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was housed in an old building near the Town Hall. In 1928, the present plot of land was acquired surrounded by Dalal Street, Bombay Samachar Marg, and Hammam Street. A building was constructed in 1930.Slide 16: THANK YOU THANK YOU You do not have the permission to view this presentation. In order to view it, please contact the author of the presentation.