Slide 1: From Mahatma Gandhi to Adolf Hitler to Barack Obama ,there are as many leadership styles as there are leaders.. LEADERSHIP STYLES Slide 2: Leadership style is a manner and approach of providing direction ,implementing plans and motivating people.
Leadership style in traditional leadership theory is how you relate to your subordinates. Slide 3: Kurt Lewin, Ronald Lipitt, and Ralph White developed in 1939 the seminal work on the influence of leadership styles and performance. The researchers evaluated the performance of groups of eleven-year-old boys under different types of work climate. In each, the leader exercised his influence regarding the type of group decision making, praise and criticism (feedback), and the management of the group tasks (project management) according to three styles: (1) authoritarian, (2) democratic and (3) laissez-faire. Understanding Leadership styles : Understanding Leadership styles The leadership style we will discuss here are:
LAISSEZ FAIRE STYLE AUTHORITARIAN (AUTOCRATIC) : AUTHORITARIAN (AUTOCRATIC) Manager retains as much power and decision-making authority as possible. The manager does not consult employees, nor are they allowed to give any input. Employees are expected to obey orders without receiving any explanations. The motivation environment is produced by creating a structured set of rewards and punishments. I want both of you to. . . Slide 6: Autocratic leadership is a classical leadership style with the following characteristics:
1. Manager seeks to make as many decisions as possible
2. Manager seeks to have the most authority and control in decision making
3. Manager seeks to retain responsibility rather than utilize complete delegation
4. Consultation with other colleagues in minimal and decision making becomes a solitary process
5. Managers are less concerned with investing their own leadership development, and prefer to simply work on the task at hand. What is Autocratic Leadership ? BENEFITS OF AUTOCRATIC STYLE : BENEFITS OF AUTOCRATIC STYLE Reduced stress due to increased control
A more productive group ‘while the leader is watching’
Improved logistics of operations
Faster decision making DISADVANTAGES : DISADVANTAGES Short-termistic approach to management.
Manager perceived as having poor leadership skills
Increased workload for the manager
People dislike being ordered around
Teams become dependent upon their leader When is the Autocratic Leadership Style Effective? : When is the Autocratic Leadership Style Effective? 1. Short term projects with a highly technical, complex or risky element.
2. Work environments where spans of control are wide and hence the manager has little time to devote to each employee.
3. Industries where employees need to perform low-skilled, monotonous and repetitive tasks and generally have low levels of motivation.
4. Projects where the work performed needs to be completed to exact specifications and/or with a tight deadline.
5. Companies that suffer from a high employee turnover, i.e. where time and resources devoted to leadership development would be largely wasted. Although one could argue that a lack of leadership development in the first place caused the high turnover. Slide 10: Adolf Hitler and his administration were responsible for the deaths of millions of Jewish people. Stalin killed over 3 million people through famines, executions and forced labor. Castro is symbolic with having control over Cuba's resources, resulting in food rationing and numerous attempts by residents to flee the country. DEMOCRATIC STYLE (PARTICIPATIVE STYLE) : DEMOCRATIC STYLE (PARTICIPATIVE STYLE) Democratic Leadership is the leadership style that promotes the sharing of responsibility, the exercise of delegation and continual consultation. Let's work together to solve this. . . What is Democratic Leadership? : What is Democratic Leadership? The style has the following characteristics:
1. Manager seeks consultation on all major issues and decisions.
2. Manager effectively delegate tasks to subordinates and give them full control and responsibility for those tasks.
3. Manager welcomes feedback on the results of intiatives and the work environment.
4. Manager encourages others to become leaders and be involved in leadership development. BENEFITS OF DEMOCRATIC STYLE : BENEFITS OF DEMOCRATIC STYLE Positive work environment
Reduction of friction and office politics
Reduced employee turnover DISADVANTAGES : DISADVANTAGES Lengthy and ‘boring’ decision making
Danger of pseudo participation
Like the other styles, the democratic style is not always appropriate. It is most successful when used with highly skilled or experienced employees or when implementing operational changes or resolving individual or group problems. When Is The Democratic Leadership Style Effective? : When Is The Democratic Leadership Style Effective? Democratic leadership is applied to an extent in the manufacturing industry, to allow employees to give their ideas on how processes can become leaner and more efficient.
Democratic leadershp is effective in professionals organisations where the emphasis is clearly on training, professional & leadership development and quality of work performed. Democratic procedures are simply just one cog in the effective leadership mechanisms firms like The Big Four have created over the years. Slide 16: 3. Non profit organizations also tremendously benefit from drawing upon the creative energies of all their staff to bring about cost cutting techniques or fund raising ideas.
4. As previously mentioned, creative industries such as advertising and television enjoy a lot of benefits from the free flow of ideas that democratic leadership brings. Indra Nooyi : Indra Nooyi “Leadership is hard to define and good leadership even harder. But if you can get people to follow you to the ends of the earth, you are a great leader. As a leader, I am tough on myself and I raise the standard for everybody; however, I am very caring because I want people to excel at what they are doing so that they can aspire to be me in the future."
Indra Nooyi in an interview to CNBC in June 2008. Slide 18: As someone who has always aspired to build a company committed to its people and to the world, I admire her determination to achieve sustainability at an established company like PepsiCo. And I believe that all socially responsible companies could learn from Indra Nooyi's style of leadership."
Howard Schulz, president and CEO of Starbucks coffee company, on presenting Nooyi the 2008 time 100 award.- Narayana Murthy and Infosys : Narayana Murthy and Infosys Narayana Murthy turned a small software development venture that he had set up with his friends in 1981, into one of the leading companies of the country. Infosys grew rapidly throughout the 1990s. He distributed the company’s profits among the employees through a stock option program and adopted the best corporate governance practice. LAISSEZ-FAIRE : LAISSEZ-FAIRE This French phrase means “leave it be” and is used to describe a leader who leaves his/her colleagues to get on with their work. The style is largely a "hands off" view that tends to minimize the amount of direction and face time required. You two take care of the problem while I go. . . This is an effective style to use when: : This is an effective style to use when: Employees are highly skilled, experienced, and educated.
Employees have pride in their work and the drive to do it successfully on their own.
Outside experts, such as staff specialists or consultants are being used
Employees are trustworthy and experienced. Disadvantages : Disadvantages It makes employees feel insecure at the unavailability of a manager.
The manager cannot provide regular feedback to let employees know how well they are doing.
Managers are unable to thank employees for their good work.
The manager doesn’t understand his or her responsibilities and is hoping the employees can cover for him or her. So far we have briefed about three Leadership Styles , Now can you guess the leadership styles of these leaders.. : So far we have briefed about three Leadership Styles , Now can you guess the leadership styles of these leaders.. Varying leadership styles : Varying leadership styles While the proper leadership style depends on the situation , there are other factors that also influence which leadership style to use.
1. The manager’s personal background. What personality, knowledge, values, ethics, and experiences does the manager have. What does he or she think will work?
2. The employees being supervised. Employees are individuals with different personalities and backgrounds. The leadership style managers use will vary depending upon the individual employee and what he or she will respond best to. The Perfect Leader : The Perfect Leader Slide 26: A good leader uses all three styles, depending on what forces are involved between the followers, the leader, and the situation. Some examples include:
Using an authoritarian style on a new employee who is just learning the job. The leader is competent and a good coach. The employee is motivated to learn a new skill. The situation is a new environment for the employee.
Using a participative style with a team of workers who know their job. The leader knows the problem, but does not have all the information. The employees know their jobs and want to become part of the team.
Using a delegative style with a worker who knows more about the job than you. You cannot do everything! The employee needs to take ownership of her job. Also, the situation might call for you to be at other places, doing other things. Forces that influence the style to be used included: : Forces that influence the style to be used included: How much time is available.
Are relationships based on respect and trust or on disrespect?
Who has the information - you, your employees, or both?
How well your employees are trained and how well you know the task.
Type of task. Is it structured, unstructured, complicated, or simple? Changes in Indian scenario : Changes in Indian scenario India has today seen a lot of transformation from an exciting mix of government owned companies and private family owned companies. Also, today there is talk of privatizing public sector companies. All these changes in the business environment has led to a change in the leadership styles, in certain cases leadership styles have changed business. It has become more democratic. In a leader abundant country, people’s satisfaction is an easy thing to forget, however, it is important that their needs are fulfilled, if organization has to be successful. People are the greatest asset and if leaders of organizations adopt styles that are democratic and transforming, then the organization would well be on its way to achieve its objectives.
As the CEO of GE, Jack Welch has said , “we cannot afford management styles that suppress and intimidate.” : Presented by :
Parul THANK YOU! Sourceshttp://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadcon.htmlhttp://www.leadership-expert.co.uk/leadership-styles/http://www.essortment.com/all/leadershipstyle_rrnq.htmhttp://www.ehow.com/facts_5003230_definition-autocratic-leadership-style.htmlhttp://www.money-zine.com/Career-Development/Leadership-Skill/Autocratic-Leadership