Exposure and Focus on Form : Exposure and Focus on Form What is it?
* Children learn language by pick it up from their surroundings automatically.
* The main way that children learn their first language
Focus on form
* Pay attention to the form of language
* Focus on gramma point Three main ways in learning foreign language : Three main ways in learning foreign language Acquiring
- To exposure to the surroundings
-rich in variety
- to communicate with the other people
-express ourselves to make people understand -understand them
Focus on form
-to study and practice the form of language used Language Teaching Classroom : Language Teaching Classroom To acquire language, learners should hear and read variety of language from both inside and outside the classroom.
Learners need time to acquire language. They need their own silent period.
Learners need to use language to interact with classmates
Learners need opportunity to focus on forms of language.
Each learner has their own particular way of learning language. Slide 4: The Learning Process When do learners start a learning process?
TEST ? The role of error : The role of error Mistakes are divided into
1. Errors. They happen when learners try to say something beyond their current level of language processing
2. Slips. They are the result of tiredness, worrying or other temporary emotions or circumstances.
3. Interference. It’s the influence from the learner’s language (L1)
(fossilised errors : learners who already be able to communicate have no reason to improve) Two main reasons why learners make errors : Two main reasons why learners make errors 1.The influence from the learner’s first language (L1)
-Interference or transfer
-sound patterns, lexis or gramma
structures from L1
2. They are developmental errors
- It happens because learners are unconsciously working out and organizing language
- Similar to mistakes made by first language
speaker (“I goed” instead of “I went”)
Overgeneralization: wrongly apply a rule for one to
another one Errors are part of learner’s interlanguage : Errors are part of learner’s interlanguage -The learners’ own version of the second language which they speak as they learn
-Learners unconsciously process
-It develops and progresses as they learn more
-It’s essential and unavoidable stage
-It’s a natural part of learning
-The internal mental processes are working Language Teaching Classroom : Language Teaching Classroom -We need to think hard about when and how to correct learners
-Mustn't expect instant learning. Learning is gradual.
-a slip or an error
-in a fluency activities, it’s better to ignore mistakes.
-some errors need to correct but some don’t.
-the final s for the third person singular
-using present simple tense instead of past simple tense
-Different learners need to be corrected in different ways
-Way of helping learners get beyond their errors
-expose them lots of language that just beyond their level
-give them opportunities to focus on forms
-give them time in class to communicate and see if they can
-Errors are useful both students and teachers Slide 9: Acquisition
focus on form