logging in or signing up Stephen Kirui Promoting social inclusion... aSGuest10556 Download Post to : URL : Related Presentations : Share Add to Flag Embed Email Send to Blogs and Networks Add to Channel Uploaded from authorPOINT lite Insert YouTube videos in PowerPont slides with aS Desktop Copy embed code: Embed: Flash iPad Copy Does not support media & animations WordPress Embed Customize Embed URL: Copy Thumbnail: Copy The presentation is successfully added In Your Favorites. Views: 61 Category: Sports License: All Rights Reserved Like it (0) Dislike it (0) Added: January 14, 2009 This Presentation is Public Favorites: 0 Presentation Description No description available. Comments Posting comment... Premium member Presentation Transcript REPUBLIC OF KENYAS.K. KiruiMinistry of Youth and Sports : REPUBLIC OF KENYAS.K. KiruiMinistry of Youth and Sports Promoting Social Inclusion of Youth in The MDGs The Kenyan Youth : The Kenyan Youth Our Definition: 15 to 30 years old. 1- 30 years constitute 75% of the country's population. Constitute 9.1 million, and account for 32% of the population (51.7% are female). Youth form 60% of the total labor force but majority are unemployed Challenges : Challenges Unemployment Health related problems Crime and Drugs Limited participation and lack of opportunities Limited access to information and communication technology (ICT) Environmental problems Education and Training Unemployment : Unemployment Increasing labor force-500,000 annually. Only 25% absorbed, leaving 75% unemployed. Health related problems HIV and AIDS affects 33% of Kenyan youths Young HIV and AIDS orphans as family heads FGM-38% of all Kenyan women (1998) and 32% in 2003 Crime and Drugs : Crime and Drugs Over 50% of convicted criminals are youth Growth of Criminal gang network Limited participation and lack of opportunities Little or no representation of young people in socio-economic and political processes ICT : ICT Access to ICT by rural youth Fixed telephone lines (4% of all telephone users) Cellphone lines (96% of all telephone users) Internet connectivity is very limited in rural areas Environmental problems Majority of slum dwellers are young people Youth involvement in sustainable development activities is low Education and Training : Education and Training The current training institutions have not effectively equipped the youth with the necessary skills that are respondent to the dynamics of the labor market. Relevance of Recommended Indicators : Relevance of Recommended Indicators The recommended indicators are very relevant but not sufficient. Proposed Targets and Indicators: Goal 1, Target 1B. Indicator 1.8. Proportion of young people enrolled in vocational, technical training institutions Goal 5 : Goal 5 Target 5C: By 2015, reduce the occurrence of FGM by 50% Indicator 5.7. Proportion of young females undergoing FGM Goal 6 : Goal 6 Target 6D: By 2015, halve the number of young HIV and AIDS orphans taking care of their siblings Indicator 6.1.1. Proportion of young HIV and AIDs Orphans taking care of their siblings Goal 7 : Goal 7 Target 7D Indicator 7.10 Proportion of self-dependent youth living in urban slums Indicator 7.11 Proportion of young people migrating from rural to urban areas Goal 8, Target 8F. Indicator 8.1.7 Proportion of young people with access to telephone, cellular and internet services Slide 12: THANK YOU You do not have the permission to view this presentation. In order to view it, please contact the author of the presentation.